2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What happened?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
Zach_99Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default What happened?

So I just did the throttle blade mod, which I have read numerous things about, and decided to go ahead and do. While I was at it, i figured that I would clean the blade as well as the throttle body itself.

I did so, and then I turned the car on without a throttle blade on bad idea. It revved up very high, and the rpms were redlining before i had the chance to turn it off. I dont think they pinned, but it went above 4000 rpms for sure. My blazer (99 LS, nothing special) has almost 200k on it and this turned on my check engine light.

Im gonna take it to my neighborhood mech tomorrow to run the code, but now im worried. Any thoughts?

I disconnected the battery and waited a minute or so, and then hooked it back up and started it, to see if the light would go away, and it didnt.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Let us know what codes come up. Starting it without the throttle blade on was not the best idea.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Probably set P0507, (Idle RPM higher than expected) woops. Hopefully no damage was done.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

+1 to Captain.
it threw the code because you were getting quite a lot of air. the computer didnt know what to do or how to control it. you should just have to a simple clear and call it a day. but do tell what code it is. and i would say 4k rpm, no load, its going to hurt anything, but its not going to help anything either. my work blazer has 233k on it and there are times that i have to really jump on it and have revved it up to 5000 before it shifted.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

sucks it happened. I woulda messed myself. My old blazer id rev to the rev limiter (5500) all the time. It didnt care. But a rev hit at start? no way lol. pull the battery for a few hours,you should be ok.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 AM
Beginning Member
Juggalo1003 is on a distinguished road

You could even put it through a drive cycle to get rid of the light as well, since you did disconnect the battery, the light may come back on once its cleared with a scan tool.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

All is well. I drove it and after about 15 miles it turned off. Good to go. Thanks for the input everyone. However, a separate unrelated problem seems to have come up. Hard to explain, so bear with me.

When i get to the top of a hill, larger hills, (this doesnt happen every time, but when im going 45+), and take my foot off the gas, it sounds like the serpentine belt gets stuck. It sounds like something in the loop is stuck rock solid and the belt continues to spin. However, as soon as i slow down and come to a full stop, the sound goes away completely, good as new. I dont have a ses light, and dont know where to start. Any suggestions at all?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM
spittybays
Default Pulley

Take the belt of and check idler pulleys. If it's that and you catch it in time you might save the belt. Most of the time the pulley comes with the bearing for about the same price.
Mine went but the local parts guy only had the bearing.

Attached Thumbnails What happened?-air-conditioning-005-600x450-.jpg   What happened?-air-conditioning-010-600x450-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Zach, does the noise stop if you select 4WD?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Beginning Member

Capt Hook, it never makes the noise when im traveling <35ish mph, and i have no interest in putting it in 4wd at that speed. I am considering putting it in neutral next time to see what happens. I drove 20 or so miles last night and this morning and it didnt happen once...

Quick Reply: What happened?