2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what type of coolant/color for 98 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member
Gibbles is on a distinguished road

I'll save the coke for my rum, and I'll only use a proper radiator flush for my engine.

That's almost as bad as the guy telling the other guy to use water to flush out his crank case.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Beginning Member

and I just googled it, coke will eat aluminum
The only reason why it does not eat the cans is due to the plastic lining.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

keep in mind that your not filling the entire cooling system with coke but rather putting in one 2 liter bottle in with the existing water. believe it or not, a buddy told me about this coke thing and he works at a dealership too. they were doing it to customers cars ....

Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

Any shop that would cut corners like that...

A bottle of proper radiator flush costs about $6, I think a 2liter of coke is about $2...
And I know the radiator flush will work, I'll spend the $6 and not do what a hack auto shop does to save money.

Using coke to flush your system to save $4 is a joke, and did you ever see the mythbusters coke episode?
It does not work well at removing stains, and it does not work well as a cleaner.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member

One more thing, they also found out that coke does not have enough acid to do much of anything, a radiator flush has enough acid to do damage to your skin, and it gets a nice bubble action while working.

Coke is not much more than sugar water, acid levels are not enough to clean anything other than peoples imagination.

Mythbusters is a kick *** show, you should watch it.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gibbles
One more thing, they also found out that coke does not have enough acid to do much of anything, a radiator flush has enough acid to do damage to your skin, and it gets a nice bubble action while working.

Coke is not much more than sugar water, acid levels are not enough to clean anything other than peoples imagination.

Mythbusters is a kick *** show, you should watch it.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 AM

so what brand radiator flush do you guys use? and what was the procedure that you use for it?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

I use what ever is on the shelf, but there are two types, super flush, and 15min flush.

I tried the 15min flush but that did not do much on the dex buildup, so I did the super flush and left it in there three days, that did a better job.
I'm still going to have to flush again in the spring, I'm still getting dex floaties from t he crud.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gibbles
I use what ever is on the shelf, but there are two types, super flush, and 15min flush.

I tried the 15min flush but that did not do much on the dex buildup, so I did the super flush and left it in there three days, that did a better job.
I'm still going to have to flush again in the spring, I'm still getting dex floaties from t he crud.
can you get this 3 day flush at Walmart? also how exactly do you use it? like do you drain your existing dex coolant, then add the flush stuff plus some regular water to fill the rest and run it for 3 days? and then drain and re-fill it with regular green antifreeze and your done?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Oh so every one on here thinks there GM engineers!!!! dex cool is ran in the newer style blazers for reasons, does anybody know those reasons, no you all dont. You think dex cool is bad because you have bad luck with it, OH NO MY WATER PUMP IS LEAKING, OH NO DEX COOL MESSED UP MY INTAKE GASKETS, OH NO DEX COOL MADE MY ENGINE OVER HEAT. If you dont take care of your car it will suck all the time, if you change fluids per gm maintence schedual you all would have no problems with your trucks, By the way dexcool is used because it dissapates heat easier(MAKES YOUR ENGINE RUN COOLER) it lubricates the waterpump, and does not freeze like your green coolant will, any who the moral of this story is if your friend jumped off a bridge would you? So why would you run diffrent coolant in a engine that requires an other type of coolant. All this just makes no sense to me i bet if someone made a thread that if you ran trans fluid in your engine instead of engine oil you all would believe that to

Quick Reply: what type of coolant/color for 98 blazer