2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what type of coolant/color for 98 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

blazerboyz. yeesh. i WANT to agree with you but, damn, hostility much....
I might not be a GM engineer, but there are some things that can be inproved upon by changing the way GM set it up (exhaust, CAI, PCM tune to name a few)
Other things (TB spacers, MAF screens, the diverter on your throttle blade) are there for a reason, or make no real difference and dont need to be screwed with.

I for one still use Dexcool, but that is only because I have had this car for about a year now and decided to go full dex after buying it with a green/dex/water mix cooking away in my radiator.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

sorry for being so hostile but i have been working on cars for a long a$$ time. And i also work at a GM dealer and you do the job right or dont do it at all, im not zeroing you out so im sorry if i came off that way?! All im trying to say is that people believe what they want to believe. But if GM says run dexcool well you bet thats what your supposed to run that is what the engine was DESIGNED to run im pretty sure you see where im coming from and im not going to make a story about this, i just want people to understand how important dexcool is to a General Motors engine they dont put it in there because they got tired of the color green lol

Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

amen brother!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
Gibbles is on a distinguished road

I thought Dex would work, and I left it in there for one or two years before I gave it a good look over, it turned to sluge.
I do not have any leaks, I kept my overflow tank filled, and it never went low, but the stuff still turned to sluge...
I wanted to think the stuff was better, but it just does not work well in our blazers.

But it seems to work fine in my wifes Saturn Aura, so it will stay atleast as long as we have the 100k warranty

And as for the radiator flush, read the back of the bottle, it's all there.
It's best to run it with water only.

My 03 blazer does not have a drain **** on the radiator but there is a drain plug on the driver side of the engine block, it takes a 15mm socket, and it may be best to take the wheel off and go through the fender skirt.
One thing to keep in mind it may be best to remove the thermostat while flushing.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you buy a used vehicle, you have no idea what has or has not been done with it.

To say that dexcool does not work well in "our blazers" is an assumption that the majority of Blazer owners have this issue. The statistics do not favor this assumption. In reality, it is well below 1% of all s/t owners out there that are having problems.

But now this thread has twisted off into a different direction than what was originally intended. If anyone wants to continue the dex vs green discussion should read through WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL, read (not scan) through the entire thread and then post your response.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Beginning Member
Gibbles is on a distinguished road

There is another factor with dex also, if you get the mix off you will have problems (I think that's what happened to me) I bought my ZR2 with 39k, it had just come off of a lease, I heard that dex was good for 100k and I thought that was great!

Over time I heard about the stories, and I decided to check my radiator cap, it was gummed up and the rubber did not look so hot, so I flushed, put dex back in and replaced the cap thinking that should do it, I think I did that at about 60 or 80k (I have it written down in an excell document on a usb drive on my keychain...) so I patted my self on the back for a job well done.
Now I'm at 103k and I decided I better take a look again, my over flow looked like diarea, and I pulle my cap off and it looked like someone tried to clean the poo off of their foot with it... it was way worse than it was before.
So I decided I better flush and just go with green, and green was less than half the price of dex and I'm broke right now.

There is a very good chance that I did not have the mix right, I may of been over 50/50, and that could of caused dex to go bad so fast... I decided I was done and went with green with a few reasons in mind, big one was price, and keeping my heater core and intake gasket in mind...
Green is safe, and if I do have a leak I know the smell of green all to well.
And I have no problem with changing my coolant out, it's not hard to do and the green stuff is cheap.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gibbles
There is another factor with dex also, if you get the mix off you will have problems (I think that's what happened to me) I bought my ZR2 with 39k, it had just come off of a lease, I heard that dex was good for 100k and I thought that was great!

Over time I heard about the stories, and I decided to check my radiator cap, it was gummed up and the rubber did not look so hot, so I flushed, put dex back in and replaced the cap thinking that should do it, I think I did that at about 60 or 80k (I have it written down in an excell document on a usb drive on my keychain...) so I patted my self on the back for a job well done.
Now I'm at 103k and I decided I better take a look again, my over flow looked like diarea, and I pulle my cap off and it looked like someone tried to clean the poo off of their foot with it... it was way worse than it was before.
So I decided I better flush and just go with green, and green was less than half the price of dex and I'm broke right now.

There is a very good chance that I did not have the mix right, I may of been over 50/50, and that could of caused dex to go bad so fast... I decided I was done and went with green with a few reasons in mind, big one was price, and keeping my heater core and intake gasket in mind...
Green is safe, and if I do have a leak I know the smell of green all to well.
And I have no problem with changing my coolant out, it's not hard to do and the green stuff is cheap.
Amen! well said!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

every one can knock dex all day for all i care! but if your getting sluge build up yes it can be from the mix!, it also can be from a million other things, one of them being blown head gasket? or a launched intake gasket its not all the dexcool making that brown pastie sludge in your resivoir

Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

but its still way more tempermental...and not worth all the potential problems that it may cause. its best just to go green and make life easier and use your time on more important things in life.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, we've beaten this one to death and since folks can't seem to take the advice Kyle offered in his last post about taking the Dex vs 'green' arguments to the suggested thread, this thread is *LOCKED*.