2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What's Leaking Here? (pic included)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What's Leaking Here? (pic included)

You really didn't need to roll the motor over to anywhere. Just mark the position of the rotor on the distributor body just below the rotor. Also mark the position of the distributor in relationship to the hold down bolt location (incase you remove the hold down clamp from the distributor body). Then when you lift the distributor out, the rotor will rotate due to the helical gears on the cam and bottom of the distributor. Mark this position as well. This position will be what you use when you set the distributor back down in after everthing is all said and done.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
samurai_24 is an unknown quantity at this point

The wiring harness looks like it's connected to the fuse block... is there just a connector in there to detach?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh crap... LOL I completely forgot about that little part of the repair! Yeah, you will have to unbolt the fuse box, roll it over and disconnect the plug for the engine harness. Sorry about that detail...

Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 AM

Ok, I unbolted the fuse box and rolled it over. The plug for the harness has a bolt holding it in the fuse box, right? I loosened it, but it didn't seem to want to come out, which made me worry that I was doing it wrong and maybe damaging the wiring or something. When the bolt was loosened, it pushed the "box" that the engine wiring entered into out. How exactly does that engine harness disconnect from the fusebox? Please forgive my million questions, I just don't like breaking things Thanks again for your help, especially swartlkk.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Just keep on loosening the bolt until you hear the threads click (while pushing in). Then pry/pull out the connector. Don't worry, they are rugged. There actually are some clips on the sides that you can't get to easily that hold it in place while you start the bolt. It'll come out of there!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM

I did notice there were two small tab/clips on there. If I pop those off their "mounts", does only half the connector come off? That's what it seems like. Here's a rough drawing of what I'm referring to:

Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

No, those clips just hold the outer cover on the plug. That will just give you access to the wires... Keep on trying, it does come loose!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Reading through the forums, I don't think I properly drained my coolant. All I did was disconnect the lower radiator hose from the radiator and let it drain from there. It drained both from the radiator and the engine. Almost filled my 15 quart drain pan. Do I still need to take the block plugs out? I don't even know where to find them under here. I've got the haynes manual, but the picture is so bad I can't tell where it is. I think I might be one of the worst mechanics ever.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

How does your coolant look? Do you have buildup under the thermostat? If not, then you shouldn't have to pull the block plugs. I never did on my old Bravada. Just used a hose through the t-stat housing and let that run for a good 10-15 minutes through the block. Do the same for the radiator and the heater core and you should be good.

If you do have buildup, then you will probably want to get to the drains.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:11 PM

Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before firing up the engine after the RTV gasket sealer is put on?

Quick Reply: What's Leaking Here? (pic included)