2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What's up with checking my Transmission Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is your truck a 4wd? If so, the transmission fluid could be getting pulled into the transfer case... Pull off the upper plug on the back of the transfer case. If fluid pours out, the t-case input seal has failed and needs to be replaced.

Other than that, I concur with the points previously posted. Dip sticks are cheap. that would be the first thing I would check. Maybe go to a junk yard and measure another blazer dip stick length (or possibly another member can measure theirs for you, posting the length & year of the vehicle).

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Beginning Member
bdbrissette is on a distinguished road

I know in the 4l60e there is a clutch pack that is engaged used for reverse, mainly because most people go from park to reverse in normal driving. Then when in reverse it applies the band. Because of that clutch pack you have to check it in park, in neautral it will give a different reading because the clutch pack is not engaged. Other than that I wouldn't worry about the little difference in the trans lever, as long as its not low or way over full. Also if its four wheel drive I would pull the fill plug on the transfer case to see if its over full. Sometimes the input seal on the t-case leaks, but only into the case, nothing external.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Oh no, are we going to have people measuring & competing to see who's dipstick is longer? Sorry bad joke, maybe look it up online at an auto parts place, they may have lengths posting in ads.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

It wasn't mentioned - and I don't know if you are doing it or not - but after adding fluid you want to run the transmission through all the gears, pausing for about 10 seconds in each gear. After putting it back in park wait about 30 seconds, then check the level. This will give you a better idea of the actual fluid level.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
talon2g is on a distinguished road

OK, dumb question. Ive been following this thread for about a week now, i just checked my trans (in park, running, on level surface) and my dipstick shows about 1.5 inches ABOVE the top hole on the dipstick. So i'm guessing this is REALLY overfilled, what are the negative effects of the fluid being so high? also, I only noticed on my trans pan there is no bolt to drain the fluid out of (like on the oil pan) is there another port somewhere where i can empty some of it?

The issues i'm having is a jumping between 1-2 shifts. But it goes away from 3rd gear on. Im guessing the obscene amount of fluid in the trans could have something to do with that?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran

You can syphon the fluid up the dipstick tube or break free some of the trans pan bolts & drain it that way.

Following this thread for a week? The last post was 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM.
Must've been a boring thread to follow lol.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM

it really was though lol. I only asked and followed because i have trans symptoms like these. But ok, ill break off a few bolts, judging by how full it is i'd guess its probably 2 quarts overfilled

Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran

You can get a syphon pump from Harbor Freight & a 3/8" ID hose for it to stick down the dipstick tube. That to me would be a lot easier & not as messy.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by talon2g
OK, dumb question. Ive been following this thread for about a week now, ...

Not much activity in this thread in the past week, actually there hasn't been much in the past year, until today!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog
You can get a syphon pump from Harbor Freight & a 3/8" ID hose for it to stick down the dipstick tube. That to me would be a lot easier & not as messy.
Well, you sir were 100% correct. After removing about 80% of the bolts for the trans pan, i was only getting a dripping for a bit. I removed one more and half of the contents of the pan dumped onto me, which was fine and all, except I couldnt much see afterwards, seeing as how most of it dumped on my face.

My trans fluid still had a shade of red, but it seemed kinda dirty. I found out that the trans was almost 2 quarts over-serviced, so after the drain (i tried to eye ball it) and now it shifts a lot better. But now i'm getting this weird vibration throughout the car when im at cruising (doesn't matter what rpm) but as soon as I let off the gas, or give it more gas it goes away and then comes back a few seconds later. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: What's up with checking my Transmission Fluid??