2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What's up with checking my Transmission Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
talon2g is on a distinguished road

@captain - well honestly enough I just got my GMC blazer, and in all honesty ive never had an SUV before, let alone a GMC, so i thought why not catch up on old threads instead of creating new ones lol. But i appreciate the wealth of info you guys have! if any of you ever get a talon and need help let me know lol

Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Stop calling me SIR you young punk! LOL

Anyway... when was the filter & oil changed in the trans last?
Also with all that extra oil in there it may have built up too much pressure & popped seals. Not so sure, you'd be better off searching the shifting issues in here for more info.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by talon2g
@captain - well honestly enough I just got my GMC blazer, and in all honesty ive never had an SUV before, let alone a GMC, so i thought why not catch up on old threads instead of creating new ones lol. But i appreciate the wealth of info you guys have! if any of you ever get a talon and need help let me know lol

Welcome to the forum! Just giving you a hard time.... cuz I can As for the vibration, it sounds like it could be a worn or binding universal joint. The best way to check them is to remove the driveshaft and operate the joints by hand. They should move freely in both directions. Vibrations can be difficult to locate but they are usually speed related IE: U joints 35MPH & again at 70MPH, tires usually 45MPH and gets worse as speed increases.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM
NewbieT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Vibrations can be difficult to locate but they are usually speed related IE: U joints 35MPH & again at 70MPH, tires usually 45MPH and gets worse as speed increases.
I disagree on one of those numbers, most u joints are making vibrations at 55mph. By the way talon I hate you lol just kidding but a second gen talon tsi with the 6 bolt 4g63 and a big 16g turbo is what I've wanted for a while also, probably would of had one if an unmolested one was for sale when I was looking for a new car. You on dsmtalk or anything else?

Last edited by NewbieT; 09-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM

@newbie lol i actually get that a lot. Mine is a FWD 7 bolt with a s16g at the moment, but have plans to do a 6 bolt bottom end swap and a 20g swap in the future. I was on dsmforums.com for a bit, but realized they were mostly arrogant ********* and decided to not take part in their little troll-fest. lol

@captain - no worries i looked at the driveshaft when i was doing the trans and it looked rusted, as well as the u-joints. Now when you say it should be able to move in both directions, can you be more specific? Also, that kinda makes sense since i'm mostly around 45-60mph when the vibrations happen, not so much during lower speeds.

@Rottidog - Im not really sure on the last full service. I plan on doing it within the next week or two, but need to take the filter off to see which type of pan I have, since apparently there are 2 types of trans pans for the 4L60 trans. So once i do that ill let you know how it shifts lol.

Last edited by swartlkk; 09-19-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: *COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS* Please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Rules are Rules.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Ah the Frankenstein lol I know the swap. To check u joints; grab one side of the yoke and try to keep it still now grab the other side of the yoke and try to turn it either direction. It should remain still with NO PLAY what's so ever. Sounds like u joints to me.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

"i looked at the driveshaft when i was doing the trans and it looked rusted, as well as the u-joints. Now when you say it should be able to move in both directions, can you be more specific? Also, that kinda makes sense since i'm mostly around 45-60mph when the vibrations happen, not so much during lower speeds."

U joints pivot in two directions Should be very easy and smooth in both directions. Vibe between 45mph & 60mph is probably not u joints though. More likely to be a tire out of balance, or out of round, broken belt etc, or worn or loose steering linkage or suspension parts.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 AM

ok, never had to deal with driveshafts or u-joints before, lol.

on a side note @Newbie: Drove the talon to school yesterday, ended up rupturing a thermostat to engine coolant hose, and was forced to drive about 1/4 mile on it with it overheating (was on a single lane road with 6 cars behind me ) so it may look like the head gasket is toast on the talon :*(

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Hopefully no burnt valves or a warped head, but that really sucks. Well if you didn't already have arp head studs then nows the time, also, if you haven't done a tb on that engine be very careful the cam gears are aligned correctly and there's no slack on the belt. A friend had a shop do his and about 2k miles later it skipped some teeth and bent half the valves. GL though! (and I'm still bettin on u joints)