2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Which Wheel Bearing To Replace..???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Wheel Bearing To Replace..???

i've got yet another bad wheel bearing [:@].. when the load comes off the left tire (i.e. turning left) the rumble goes away... and when turning right it rumbles/hums away.. so from reading posts here on this subject..it should be the drivers side wheel bearing that needs to be replaced.. correct..???the bad wheel bearing should get louder when the weight is on it.. correct..???

so if when making right turns my truck hums away.. that means i need to replace the driver side wheel bearing..???

THX in advance

Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Which Wheel Bearing To Replace..???

You have read things correctly. Verify by lifting the front end up and feeling for play in the driver front wheel.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

You have read things correctly. Verify by lifting the front end up and feeling for play in the driver front wheel.
THX swartlkk... i've tried that 2 months ago when i noticed a slight humming.. and almost every weekend since then and there isn't even a millimetre of play in either wheel...

EDIT: i also noticed looking back through my old posts that this bearing was replaced back in April of '07

Old 11-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As you have found, you will often hear the noise before there is play.

Other than the work being the same for replacing the wheel bearing, if you really wanted to be sure, you could pull the bearing and feel for roughness. The problem with just rotating the wheel is there is a lot of other components that will mask the roughness (brakes, driveshaft, front diff).

The noise does point to the driver front wheel bearing as the problem.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:46 PM

THX again.. i'll dig out my receipt and see if there's still warranty on it and if so i'll replace it anyway.. THX again