2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Whining/Whistle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 AM
J.C.Vice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whining/Whistle Sound

2000 S10 Blazer 2 wheel drive

When accelerating the whining sound is high and then seems decrees when slowing down. The sound also happens when in park while pressing down the gas peddle. Any ideas? I’m thinking vacuum leak but I am not a mechanic?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Whining/Whistle Sound

Can you give a guess as to where the whinning sound seems to be coming from???

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 AM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing I think when people say whining is Alternator. But Whistling wouldsound morelike an air leak somewhere.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member
Calgary ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

It may possibly be the brake booster.
My booster is making a rattling sound that I hear through the dashboard. While researching the problem I ran across many owners who are hearing a whining or whistling sound from the booster.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

mine whirs slightly but i don't mind it it seems to be coming from the front of the engine like a belt or pulley but hey could be my alternator cause its going out.

EDIT also I have the rattle from the brake booster which is annoying! any solution?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member
Calgary ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

It makes sence too.
I was also told that the belt tensioner may be a cause of a whining sound. It would be a rapid sound that would change during different driving canditions. The booster may remain constant with the vacume.

As for fixing the rattling. You really can't. You have to change the booster or the valves may fail soon and leave you with no brake boost. This seems to be a problem for many of the GM SUVs and trucks. The failure occures long enough after the original warranty and since it does not trigger a code the extended warranty companies don't cover it.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:29 PM

meh ill let both go no sence in fixing what isn't broken

Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i feel pretty good cause now heres a problem i think i can use my limited mechanical knowledge and experience to help fix. i'm having the same problem with my truck. the sound is coming through my speakers. from what i've been able to gather it's feedback or somesuch thing and it's being caused by the alternator. so now i get to spend $70 on a new alternator. my problem aside that should be your solution. also check your battery charge guage meterie thingie (thats a technical term by the way) mine is spending most of the time in the red but if yours is up then theres some corroborating evidence.
good luck

Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Beginning Member
TheJuicer is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had a whining sound which was coming from the front of the car. I had also noticed my interior lights dimming on and off when coming to stops and when using the brakes. I tested the alternator and it was going bad. Replaced it and the whining problem went away.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM

well my alternator is fine for the most part but every so often, it wont charge at idle.[>:]

Quick Reply: Whining/Whistle Sound