2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Will bad abs module keep brakes applied?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Blazeme is on a distinguished road
Default Will bad abs module keep brakes applied?

I have had excessive brake wear on the front drivers side of our 2001 4wd. I replaced both the rotors and pads several years ago. Then the caliper. Replaced the pads only last year. The caliper pistons are still free and the slider bolts seam to be free.

We did how ever drive the Blazer for an extended time with a bad ABS module. It was rebuilt by Module Masters about 6 months ago and seams to be good still. ( no ABS light) The inner pad is worn the most and the passenger side has no where near the wear as the drivers side.

Wheel spins free and also spins free with the engine running.

I am not sure if the ABS was making it drag and most of the wear is from before I got the module rebuilt.

Going to get new rotors and maybe ceramic pads and recheck the slider bolts. Could be I need to replaced the flex line but I see no signs of the rotor grabbing when I jack up the Blazer and spin the wheel.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Blazeme

Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Pad wear tells you what the problem is. If the inboard pad wears faster than the outboard pad, the caliper piston is binding. If the outboard pad wears faster, the caliper hardware is binding. If both pads on one side of the vehicle wear evenly, but faster than the other side, a collapsed flex hose or air in the system could be the culprit. If that's the case, the vehicle will likely pull in one direction when the brakes are applied... but not always

Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Blazeme is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Pad wear tells you what the problem is. If the inboard pad wears faster than the outboard pad, the caliper piston is binding. If the outboard pad wears faster, the caliper hardware is binding. If both pads on one side of the vehicle wear evenly, but faster than the other side, a collapsed flex hose or air in the system could be the culprit. If that's the case, the vehicle will likely pull in one direction when the brakes are applied... but not always
Thanks Captain

I bought new rotors and pads tonight. Think it sounds like I may need flex lines also. We have noticed a pull to the left at times when not braking. Doesn't happen all of the time so I don't think it is tires or anything like that. I though it might have been caused by the ABS module but now thinking the flex hose may be the reason.

Blazeme