Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How-To: EGR Valve Cleaning - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use brake clean on either your MAF sensor or EGR valve. Electrical parts cleaner or MAF specific cleaner here. I wouldn't recommend using brake clean on the EGR either. For the EGR valve, the same stuff can be used as what is used on the MAF or some sensor safe carbon cleaner.

As far as the EGR gasket goes, if the screen plugs up, it would end up tripping an insufficient EGR flow code which wouldn't cause any real driveability problems. If a chunk of carbon gets stuck in the valve itself, it can cause some bad things to happen.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Beginning Member
cody84 is on a distinguished road

The link to the MAF cleaning doesn't work anymore

Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 AM
twobogie is on a distinguished road

Could someone plz give a link to the MAF cleaner site that works?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
spittybays

I don't have a site link but should be stuff on you tube. To be honest if you just follow the directions on the can of MAF cleaner you should be fine.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM
twobogie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your response. I'm a newby and had missed the tech write-up. Found that and the world is wonderful. I am going to really enjoy being a member of this forum. Thanks a bunch................

Old 07-22-2022, 01:41 PM
Starting Member
ferret13sj is on a distinguished road

Figured it would be better to add to this discussion instead of starting new thread. I'm trying to clean out the EGR passages as well as the valve. The one that really needs cleaned is on the right, correct? I haven't found a brush flexible enough to get in there, so I'm trying the bicycle brake cable/drill trick. Just not sure how long my cable should be to clean entire passage. I did seem to have a blockage just a few inches in, while poking around with the cable by hand. So I'm sure there's a lot of buildup in there. Any extra advice would be appreciated.