Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:57 PM
clancy98 is an unknown quantity at this point

awesome -- I couldn't find the right part @ rockauto. Did you have to buy a kit, (someone mentioned having to buy them in pairs) or was it just one? If you have an extra I'll buy it from ya -- I am in the cbus too

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
burtonmo151 is on a distinguished road

Awesome Thread! I've been going nuts with this problem with my '02 Blazer and didn't really want to take it to the dealership due to what it would cost to fix...thanks to this forum I've got the fix it parts on order for $16

Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 AM
cbcmlowe is on a distinguished road

I ordered my clips from Rockauto. I followed a link from earlier in the thread. I didn't have any difficulty identifying my make/model/year or finding the actuator arms. It was easy. I had gone 8 weeks with the hatch sealed. It was driving me crazy, but I wasn't in a rush. Online ordering was easy for me.

The parts came in a small package of 2. Not much to it. They were identical. Just 2 of them. I didn't realize I could maybe get them in town. $5 - $10, whatever. The cost is nominal compared to shop time and/or replacing the entire actuator.

These are small 2.5" blue molded plastic rods that fit into the actuator (check out pics on board) have a protusion at the just the right place to move the hatch latch arm. Protusion is what breaks off. Very minor part. Enough people have written about substituting that you get the idea - they are minor. Classic - man club substitute could maybe be coat hanger wire or chewing gum if you are a MacGiver.

But I only needed 1, so if you have the time to spare immediately fishing in the back door, picking it up local and paying just $5 might be the true bottom line, pro-level fix.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
worlds is on a distinguished road

My 2003 Blazer also had the same problem (rear window would not open). When the retainer breaks (that attaches to the actuator) the little arm that it moves falls below that factory access hole (behind the carpet-just below the the platic in the center. So what I would do, is to bend a 6"x 2" L shaped piece of metal, put the 2" end through the hole facing upward to manually move the arm to the left to release the window latch. Or, put a hook wire through the hole (to the lower right) to fish out the little arm that originally attached to the actuator, then move the little arm to the left to open the window. You can pick up the Dorman 42426 (retainer) Less the six bucks at your local NAPA dealer.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member
my2k2zx2 is on a distinguished road

Is this the fix for the problem we are having with our 99 2dr Blazer.

Rear hatch window only opens if you are holding down the button either inside or outside of the vehicle. The actuator releases the lock for about 1 second then locks it back up again. Cannot use the keyfob unless you are lifting on the glass when pushing the button.

Not very convenient to try to get that glass opened with your hands full. Shouldnt pushing the button release the window so it can be opened anytime, like a car trunk?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like your problem is that the window is not popping out of the latch like it is supposed to be. You may have a spring broke in the latch itself. Another possibility is that the latch isn't adjusted tight enough that the 'spring' in the gasket pushes the window free of the latch. I say 'spring', but what I really mean is resilience in that the compression of the gasket should force the window out of the latch as soon as it opens.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member

Is there a way to adjust the latch so that the glass pops out of the latch when the lock is released? The back glass does rattle a bit when its closes so it may be that its out of adjustment.

Where is the gasket thing located or do I have to take the panel off to get to that portion? Can we put some foam rubber type material on the flat metal piece that is to the right of the lock in the tailgate itself to hopefully push the glass out when the lock is released?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The gasket is the rubber seal that is all the way around the window frame.

And yes, the latch can be adjusted. You have to remove the trim panel on the tailgate and you should see the two studs/nuts that are responsible for holding the latch. Loosen them and move the latch closer towards the interior of the vehicle (as referenced with the tailgate in the closed position).

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Beginning Member

Took the tailgate panel off and was successful in the latch adjustment. Looks like someone had already been there before as the bottom tabs were already gone and there were marks on the adjustment nut. The nut wasnt all that tight so I bet it just rattled loose over time. There is a nice visable release of the rear glass when that button is pushed now. Thanks!!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open