Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to: Freeze Plug Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough
Default How to: Freeze Plug Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD

As far as I know, nobody has done this so I thought I'd give it whirl. This is a step by step process of removing the freeze plug in the engine block of the 4.3 V6 on the passenger side.

Step 1. Lift the front right side of the vehicle and secure with jack stands. Then remove the tire and lift up the rubber mud guard to see the starter and freeze plug.

Step 2. Remove the two leads that are connected to the solenoid on the back of the starter, as it will be removed.

Step 3. Remove the starter bolts and wiggle the starter around until it can be pulled free (took me a few minutes to pull it off).

Step 4. After allowing the engine to cool down, remove the radiator cap and overflow cap. Then, remove the drain plug in the block to drain the coolant (It will run out quickly so be sure to have a large bucket to catch the coolant.)

Step 5. Using a punch or long screwdriver, place it near the edge of the plug and tap. The plug should twist in place, allowing you to then use a pair on channel locks or vise grips to remove the plug completely.

Step 6. Success! Now, tap in the new plug, put the starter back in place, fill up the coolant and enjoy not having a leak anymore

Last edited by Red 96'; 11-25-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

which freeze plug is removed & replaced with the engine block heater? Does it matter? I've heard on other threads that on certain freeze plugs there isn't the clearance to install the freeze-plug type heater.
Any input?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm not sure, I've never looked into the engine block block heater for my truck. I'm sure somebody on here knows, I'd just keep asking around until you find an answer. Sorry I couldn't help.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

nice! thought it would be a little more involved than that! Good info!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good writeup!

It gets a lot more complicated when you do the ones behind the motor mounts!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Good writeup!

It gets a lot more complicated when you do the ones behind the motor mounts!
Thanks! I've heard that for some of them, you've got to pull the motor. I assume those include the ones behind the motor mounts?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Space is a premium on the driver side of a 4wd since the front axle is in the way, but I have seen them done with the motor installed. You just have to remove the exhaust manifold and the motor mount. It's that "easy"! LMAO.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Of course! It so simple! Haha

Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
96loaded is on a distinguished road

Fellas...i need to know how hard it is to replace the freeze plugs on the drivers side????? coolant spews from the driver side just between the fender and the top of the tire...is this one of the ones by the motor mount???

Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Administrator

From one of the stickies at the top of this section:
DIY SUBMISSIONS ONLY - NO REQUESTS FOR HELP

Quick Reply: How to: Freeze Plug Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD