Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How-To: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION

oh yea i know i need a heat shield but i was stuck on how to make the intake tube stay up without falling. these pic help me alot thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

No problem, if you need any more specific pictures, let me know andI can get some for you.

I tried to draw it out rather than try and write it all out. Basically, the support bracket consists of an L bracket, a semicircular bracket and a hose clap

There is a bolt near the fuse box where the stock airbox mounted too. the L attaches there and the semicircle attaches on the other leg of the L. the semicircle fits around the intake pipe and uses a metal hose clamp to tighten it down.

the dark gray is the metal brackets and the red is the hose clamp

Also, you could try making the heat shield first and then find some way to support the intake off of it (either by resting on it or mounting a bracket off the heat shield)

Old 04-19-2008, 06:18 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I figured out when you, otnietdehoooo, said that you used a half circle clamp or something like that for a support, I started to think and in going to use a hose clamp bolted on to an L bracket and in going to put and old inner tube inbetween the clamp and intake tube. Thatbks for your help and ill post pics when I get around to it

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Seems this has suffered the same fate as the other DIY articles and got clipped at 4000 characters. If I can pull the file off of my crashed HD I can repost, or maybe host from another source. I'll keep you updated.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

First post updated with slideshow of pics with descriptions and pic of template.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Freaking Awsome! I was so dissapointed when I first came across the choped post, glad to see the rest! Man this an awsome DIY! TY!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

Well made mine up from some aluminum checker plate tonight...It looks pretty...

Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 AM

Well I made mine tonigh and was a bit surprised. Triple blacks must be 98+, mine is 96' and all the stuff along the drivers side of the bay is diffrent, its like the old style engins have it, so I had to build minea tad bit diffrent. Other then that it worked great. Great write up.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 AM

Heres the Pic of mine!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this heat insulator at Summit. I looks like it would work great to cover the outside of a homemade heatshield. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Quick Reply: How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD