Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Default HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring

Well, i'm coming up on my one year mark here, so I figured it was time to do something semi-useful. I am tackling a huge project, one that is the bane of many a blazer owner: the Door Spring.

Whether you are trying to stuff a spring that fell out () or the spring you pryed out in order to do a hinge replacement, you will find it can be quite a hassle (). Well, help is here.

What You Need
*A $4 Door Spring Tool (got mine at harbor Freight Tools)
*A door that needs a spring
*A door spring
*A a 13mm wrench
*A 13mm Socket and ratchet that fits said socket
See Picture #1

STEP 1
I'll assume you have already purchased you spring tool, and are ready to rock. Loosen the nut on the tool until just before the bolt slides free. Slide your spring into the tool's open jaws. You will notice that the ends of the Door Spring Tool are notched ('v' shaped). Line up your spring so the center of the spring hoolow sits centered in the open portion of the notch. perfection is not required here.

STEP 2
With the spring set, grab you 13mm wrench and get cranking. this is where the ratchet is uber handy. Mash that spring down like it's the 18th century and you suspect it of whitch craft. Hold it up to the slot it will fit in and crank until it wedges in with little rubbing on the way in.
See Pictures #2 and #3

STEP 3
I'll need to edit this part as i do not know the nomenclature of the little arm the the spring pushes on to hold the door open for you -->before continuing, ensure that you rotate the WTF part to it's open and locked position to accomodate the spring. Slide the compressed spring into it's intended postition with one end roughly centered on the door side rounded spring surface and the other end roughly centered on the peg that holds the spring in place on the damn part. Grab your wrench and relieve pressure on the spring. Ratchet wont fit at this point so unless you have a cool guy crow's foot, it's wrench time. Relieve just enough pressure that the Door Spring Tool can wiggle a bit, but the spring holds steady.
See picture #4

STEP 4
Once you have the spring in place and extended a bit, you should notice that the Door Spring Tool can move a bit, but the sring holds mostly steady. At this point, simply pull the door spring tool out. The sring will stay in place 9expertly installed by you) and your 44 investment will be sitting in your hand, mostly useless from this point on in it's life.
See picture #5

After a healthy self-back patting, you can post up pics of your new a) tamed sring re-installed or b) completed door hinge replacement project! Enjoy your new found power!

**Disclamer** The door spring used in this handy How To is a 2 gen. I am not all that familiar with the 1st gens and early K5's so if this is useless, I am sorry.

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring-1-choose-your-weapon-.jpg   HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring-2-insert-condemmed.jpg   HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring-3-crush-life-out-.jpg   HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring-4-line-up-immasculated-steel-coil.jpg   HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring-5-ta-da-.jpg  

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-30-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
giod is an unknown quantity at this point

Good writeup. My truck came with the driver door spring in the center console lol. Never taken the time to put it back in

Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

thanks it's too easy (with the tool) and makes a real difference on a windy day

Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 PM
caprini83 is on a distinguished road

Can someone please tell me where I can find the little roller part at? it is missing along with the driver door spring on my 97 4 door. I would really like to be able to replace that roller and the spring.
Yes I know this thread is old but please help!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by caprini83
Can someone please tell me where I can find the little roller part at? it is missing along with the driver door spring on my 97 4 door. I would really like to be able to replace that roller and the spring.
Yes I know this thread is old but please help!
You can get the spring from Ebay. You can probably get the roller too, I'll have to look around. When you order the spring, do yourself a favor and buy the tool to put it in.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
You can get the spring from Ebay. You can probably get the roller too, I'll have to look around. When you order the spring, do yourself a favor and buy the tool to put it in.

I will for sure be buying the tool for the spring, I have looked everywhere for the roller part that helps keep the door open and I could really use a link to one PLEASE!!!! I have found the spring but no luck on the roller.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:54 PM

I see what you mean about the roller. I can find the rear door roller pretty easily, but not for the front. After looking for a while, I came up with a part number and possible place to get it. I've never ordered from these guys, but for 10 bucks it might be worth checking out. Link

Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 PM

You are the man!!! now can you tell me how that roller stays on the hinge?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by caprini83
You are the man!!! now can you tell me how that roller stays on the hinge?
Let me go look at mine lol. Brb. I'll update this post when I get back.

*update*

Ok, I'm back.

It's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like an e-clip.

You can get those at your local parts store. See how the roller mounts on the end of that pin? Is your pin still there?

Last edited by s14sh3r; 04-24-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM

The pin in still there. I will be so happy if all that holds it on is a e-clip I hate how the door flies open every time I open it, I just had to replace the hinge pin bushing they were beat to hell.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Tame a Rogue Door Spring