Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

15" sub question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Can you send me the specs/model # on your amp. I just want to make sure you're powering that sub correctly. Also can I have the specs/model # of the sub?

And I'd go with sealed if you listen to a variety of music, I've always had sealed boxes and I love them, I've had all kinds of set ups too.

As long as you have the right amp and sub paired that thing will sound great my buddy has one in his grand cherokee and it hits. It's a nice clean loud bass. Kickers are pretty good subs especially the l7's.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO getting loud and sounding good depends on the entire build and the qualities of the products used in it. The box being ported or sealed won't affect the SQ, well it will but not in the way most people would think. Not all ported set-ups sound muddy, but because of poorly designed builds, most people think that. I've had ported 15's that had more accuracy and tight sound on double bass drums in death metal than 2 12's in a sealed box.

But yeah one 15 will sound good and get fairly loud. Just build the box to spec and set the amps right and thump away. I don't feel it will overpower the highs and mids from the door speakers, but diffrent people have diffrent ears, lol.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
1sexyblzr is on a distinguished road

Okay so my amp is a crunch audio P1500.1 1 channel mono-block. The specs are
1500Watts x 1-ch @ 1-ohms
750Watts x 1-ch @ 2-ohms
375watts x 1-ch @ 4-ohms
I'm not sure the of the specs of my sub (my buddy let me have it) I do know its a solo baric L7 15" it may be an 08 model but I'm not sure and as for the box I'm still deciding I want to go with a ported box because I listen to ALOT of rap. But I sometimes listen to country and rock. I just know that when It comes to systems I like them to POUND!!! And I like my music loud and to hurt lol :-P

Also how hard would it be to build my own box for this?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1sexyblzr
750Watts x 1-ch @ 2-ohms
375watts x 1-ch @ 4-ohms
I'm not sure the of the specs of my sub (my buddy let me have it) I do know its a solo baric L7 15" it may be an 08 model but I'm not sure and as for the box I'm still deciding I want to go with a ported box because I listen to ALOT of rap. But I sometimes listen to country and rock. I just know that when It comes to systems I like them to POUND!!! And I like my music loud and to hurt lol :-P

Also how hard would it be to build my own box for this?
I've never built a box but I can't imagine it being too hard, and make sure you wire that sub at 2 ohms into the amp so it gets 750 watts... that subs rated at like 1000 watts RMS if I remember correctly so you wouldnt want to push it at 1500 and end up messing it up.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

Generally sealed gives better SQ and ported is louder, especially with lows. I have 3x JL 12W1 in a sealed box and a JL 500/1 amp. People that hear it and haven't seen it would swear I'm pushing more than 500w and they say it's probably the best sounding as far as SQ goes that they've ever heard.

Pairing the amp/subs and also getting the correct subs based on how you want it to sound does wonders.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1sexyblzr
750Watts x 1-ch @ 2-ohms
375watts x 1-ch @ 4-ohms

im guessing this is peak wattage because there is no way (unless lightning strikes) that a POS crunch is going to continuously produce these numbers. They are cheap amps for a reason.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on what your definition of sounding good is. I think it sounds good, although I'm into loud low low bass and dont care much for tight bass. I have a L7 15'' at 1ohm at 1200rms on a 2000watt amp in a 4.5 ported cubic foot box. Doesnt hit as hard as it should but I like it. Its straight up loud. Get a smaller box somewhere around 3 and you would be good. I've heard one in a 3.5 cubic ported box and it sounded awesome but could be a little tighter

Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

explain to me how being loud sounds good? being loud = ear damaging. ear damaging does not equal sounding good.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess some people like intense, hair moving, vision blurring bass. And some don't. I agree loud doesn't mean it sounds good. But alot of people have diffrent opinions on what "good" is. I've sat in award winning rides and wondered what the big deal was. And I've also sat in lowbrow boring setups and have been amazed at the air they were moving.

Some people want great sounding bass that equals out the soundstage of the music being played. Some people just wanna feel the bass more than anything. Everyone is diffrent. What's good to me might not be good to you and vice versa. Some people need one JL 12 and a slash 500.1 amp, and that alone is all they need. I've got one 15 wired to 2 ohm getting maybe 1200 watts, and I want much much more, lol.

Building the box, depends on what you want. A sealed box is pretty straight foreward, just measure everything right and account for internal cubic foot air space. Make sure it is air tight and voila. There's more to it, but that's the jist. Vented is a whole other thing but possible. Most simple vented boxes are the transmission style. Where the vent goes back into the box and either left or right then opens into the chamber with the subwoofer in it. Pretty much a open box with vent opening and a L shapped baffle to make the channel for the vent.

Look into box building online, the information is endless. 12volt has alot of great info on everything up to 8th order bandpass boxes! Just remember the tuning of the port and things like that and it can be done. I've never built a box yet but I plan on building one for my new setup this spring. So if I post something wrong, bear with me .

Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

I've got 2 15" L7's in a sealed box, but I need to buy a ported because I don't like the sound they produce in it. Also, All of the sound is confined in the vehicle, and I want everyone around me to hear them, so I have to get a ported box to increase the volume. I also have to at least get a 200amp alternator because my voltage will drop to 11V on the gauge if I have them turned up extremely loud (not good for the blazer!). I have them wired to 1 ohm and each sub gets 2200W RMS. Just a little overkill. : ) I have an MA Audio 4400W amp.

Last edited by rob44_90; 08-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 15" sub question