Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   2001 blazer door speaker suggestions (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/2001-blazer-door-speaker-suggestions-42405/)

jjnemoiii 03-20-2010 05:02 PM

2001 blazer door speaker suggestions

Looking to replace front door speakers with something that has better Bass. Truck is used for too many other things to add any sub, even a small one, unless it fits under front seats, and I'm not finding any boxes/tubes that are that small. Therefore, I'd like to get as much bass as I can out of front door speakers. If you get good Bass out of yours, what brand/model number do you have? I'll buy any major brand if they sound good...

JShark 03-20-2010 08:19 PM

ever heard of these?

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/car_audio/index.htm

i myself have never experienced one but from the reviews iv seen they look awesome. rockford puts out the I-BEAM which is the same thing but way more expensive.
i cant help you on the speaker part, i broke down and got subs.

jjnemoiii 03-20-2010 09:21 PM

They look nice, but at 5"x5"x5", I don't think they'll fit under my seat, and one for each front seat, plus amp, means too much money. I believe I should be able to get a good pair of door speakers for approx. $100-$130, correct?

JShark 03-21-2010 10:42 AM

yes sir. haha they ,make a mini one too. but as for speakers, id probably go with component, you get a mid-driver crossover and a separate tweeter. sonic electronics has some good prices.

Vahomboy 03-22-2010 07:33 AM

Hey, if something happens and you screw up your door mount housings for your speakers, I have a stock set you can have.

vanillathrilla 03-22-2010 08:53 AM

JL C2 components. American made, and I love mine!

jjnemoiii 03-23-2010 05:17 AM

WOW, I know JL sounds good, but I was unaware they were made in the USA! Do you know which particular model you have, or any good suggestions?

Unlimitedsp 03-23-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by vanillathrilla (Post 314448)
JL C2 components. American made, and I love mine!

x345829348970

Best components I have ever owned. The JL C2-650 is what you will need for the front.

vanillathrilla 03-23-2010 03:59 PM

I'm going to be stepping up to the 5's soon and sell the C2's if you're in the market. The 5's have better midrange and a much brighter tweeter, but the downside is that they aren't going to be worth a dime if they're not being pushed by an amplifier. Headunit power just doesn't do them justice.

jjnemoiii 03-24-2010 04:29 PM

Thanks for the Information, I gotta go with something a little cheaper though...

vanillathrilla 03-24-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jjnemoiii (Post 315221)
Thanks for the Information, I gotta go with something a little cheaper though...

What price range are you looking for?

I can't believe I'm saying the C2's are cheap, because they're $250 shipped through Crutchfield, but that's really not bad considering how ridiculously good they are. It's not hard to install door speakers yourself, even if you're not mechanically inclined.

What type of music do you listen to, and what do you want out of your speakers? I can try to make cheaper suggestions but my honest suggestion would be to wait until you have enough money to buy quality speakers.

acavill 03-26-2010 09:25 PM

You can't beat them JL C2-650's :icon_clapclap:

midnightmekanik 03-27-2010 08:57 AM

If you can find a new pair (or decent used set) of Eclipse components or coaxials, I'm sure you won't be disappointed... JL's are too pricey, and IMO over rated. If you want to spend money, spend it on dynaudio, rainbow, or even McIntosh speakers. I would leave the JL's on the best buy shelves where they belong LOL

MTopper 03-27-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by midnightmekanik (Post 316076)
If you can find a new pair (or decent used set) of Eclipse components or coaxials, I'm sure you won't be disappointed... JL's are too pricey, and IMO over rated. If you want to spend money, spend it on dynaudio, rainbow, or even McIntosh speakers. I would leave the JL's on the best buy shelves where they belong LOL

JL is pricey but you get what you pay for. Eclipse was never one of my favorites because the subs/speakers were too loud without clarity. I'm not trying to start a fight but JL is some of the best mid level speakers, obviously dyn, rainbow and the such are the high end stuff that you rarely see people installing because they're so expensive

midnightmekanik 03-27-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MTopper (Post 316152)
JL is pricey but you get what you pay for. Eclipse was never one of my favorites because the subs/speakers were too loud without clarity.

Probably not set up right? I have them in my truck now, and they sound almost as good as the dynaudio/mcintosh setup in my summer ride.

MTopper 03-27-2010 11:00 PM

i believe you but its all personal preference, i grew up with JL audio subs, amps, and components in my brother's trucks and my first setup was a 10w3v1, a 300/4 and some 5.25 coaxials in the doors of my cavalier... so, i have been spoiled i guess

jjnemoiii 03-28-2010 07:00 AM

Nothing against the other brands, but I was surprised to find someone still has car speakers "Made in the USA". As such, if at all possible, I will be buying JL Audio, unless someone else has another manufacturer Made in the USA.
These are the two models I am currently looking at:
JL VR650-CXI
JL TR650-CXI
Anybody know what real differences there are between the two, the cost is a $12 difference. Also, do I need some adaptor plate to get them to fit into the opening as I'm told its slightly larger than 6-1/2"?

MTopper 03-28-2010 09:50 PM

I actually have the VR 6.5 components to be installed this summer when its warmer and i have more money (hopefully). The VRs are supposed to be a little better because they have a separate crossover for the components. The VRs are also discontinued now while the TRs aren't... I guess go for cheaper and the TR.

Fro the adapter plate, i have had 6.5 infinity coaxials and 6.5 pioneers in my doors with no problem. I just had to drill new holes in the blue plastic mount

jjnemoiii 03-29-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by vanillathrilla (Post 315254)
What price range are you looking for?

$100-150/pair

What type of music do you listen to
Almost everything except (C)Rap

[quote]what do you want out of your speakers? quote]

A little more Bass - not subs, but better than factory.

Chase Clouser 05-07-2010 10:32 PM

2001 zr2 pioneer dash speakers need some inexpensive doors

i now have to much bass in the dash and not enough in the doors i don't want crazy bass but i wanna no that something is there. any cheap suggestions to replace the stock doors.

MTopper 05-07-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chase Clouser (Post 327759)
i now have to much bass in the dash and not enough in the doors i don't want crazy bass but i wanna no that something is there. any cheap suggestions to replace the stock doors.

How do you have too much bass in the dash? how is that possible? are your dash speakers amplified or what?

jjnemoiii 05-08-2010 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chase Clouser (Post 327759)

Sorry, I don't know what too much bass is. How long have you owned the Blazer, and what changes have you made to get "too much" bass out of your dash speakers? I am following an earlier suggestion, and will be putting Made in the USA JL Audio speakers in the door, once I save the money to do it. Too cheap of a speaker will sound horrible, and probably blow quicker than a quality speaker, and three pairs at $60.00 each cost more than one pair at $150.00 each. What is your idea of a "cheap" suggestion? How much do you plan on spending?

Chase Clouser 05-08-2010 06:54 PM

sorry wrong wording i guess i just need better speakers in the door and i dont wanna give my left nut for a pair. And its an 2001 zr2 and ive had it for about 3 and a half years to my knowledge nothing is done to the sound system except the 4x6's i just put in, they are ust alot more clearer than the stock ones and now the door speakers sound like crap.

MTopper 05-08-2010 07:57 PM

Well, if you put in some decent drop in speakers such as pioneer coaxials or something similar.

ImScrewed92 05-09-2010 01:05 AM

You can get a set of Soundstorm 300 watt door speakers for about $20 a pair...:D

I just put some Kenwoods in a buddies truck and they sounded pretty good. For some bass, bear with me this just popped in my head. What about some 6.5 inch midbass in a small kick panel/box?

MTopper 05-09-2010 01:39 AM

would sound good but only if amplified and "crossovered" right. if you just run them off the HU it wouldn't be as nice. For this application, some drop in $30 or less speakers will do the job no problem

ImScrewed92 05-09-2010 12:35 PM

I know they would have to be amplified. I haven't ran a midbass/sub off the headunit since I was 11, lol. But that would give some bass in the front. No subs/amps in the back. And then you wouldn't be relying on your doors and dash to give you rich bass.

But that's a next option if your door speakers don't make you happy. I was gonna do this with my friends 88 MR2 for bass in a VERY small cramp area.

Chase Clouser 05-09-2010 09:22 PM

thanks ya'll, now will a 6.5" fit in the stock 6.75" door fitting. sorry if these questions seem dumb , ive never really done this kind of stuff ive always been more into the motor and drivetrain not really into the electronic stuff.

MTopper 05-09-2010 09:55 PM

Yes, a 6.5 will fit in the 6.75, the only thing you'll have to do is drill new holes for the speakers. In my 2004 i have a blue speaker baffle that i had to redo screws for... it works great with no problems

ImScrewed92 05-10-2010 01:57 AM

^ Yup... Yur good thur buhdy. :D It'll work fine.

MTopper 05-10-2010 03:17 PM

Screwed, we should just make a thread that you and I answer any and all audio questions in haha, it seems like we're taken over this section. Similar mindset and tastes. Plus i'll have my build started this week that I think you'll find interesting

Chase Clouser 05-13-2010 06:00 PM

what is the watts on the stocks speakers in an 01 zr2 blazer?

MTopper 05-14-2010 12:12 AM

No idea, why do you ask?

ImScrewed92 05-14-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chase Clouser (Post 329475)
what is the watts on the stocks speakers in an 01 zr2 blazer?

I wanna say somewhere between 15-20 watts. They don't handle alot of power. The factory radios are around 80-100 watts if I remember right. Unless I just have the wrong numbers in my head.

MTopper 05-15-2010 02:09 AM

honestly, thats one of those things i don't waste my time on because you're not going to amplify stock speakers are you?

on that note, lets say how smart my "friend" is. Kid from "BLazers are Crap" thread i posted with the bmw is amping his rear 6x9s because they sound "so much better with power" they actually just distort and give him dirty mid bass that he thinks can go as low as my 12w6 did... I'm sorry but really? how stupid is he?

ImScrewed92 05-15-2010 03:15 AM

Eh I figure he's just wondering about a aftermarket cd player or something.

But yeah that's funny about the BMW guy. Those guys give true SQ/SPL guys a bad image. You should have seen the mess I found in my buddies truck when he bought it. I still get nightmares from it. lol. I've seen audio setups so dangerous or stupidly arranged I wouldn't trust them with a fm transmitter.

blazinloud 05-15-2010 12:43 PM

Focal K2P's

Chase Clouser 05-15-2010 04:25 PM

i was just wondering what i started off with to get an idea what aftermarket ones are going to do. and for being that low of wattage they still moved my pant legs without popping or crackling. :icon_razz:

ImScrewed92 05-15-2010 10:21 PM

^Well it might have been diffrent on the later years, but on the older gens they didn't do much power at all. I've still got the factory Delco tape deck out in the building. Hifi right there, HA HA.