Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   2002 Xtreme with Bose headunit upgrade (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/2002-xtreme-bose-headunit-upgrade-86331/)

hoop2077 06-29-2014 02:38 PM

2002 Xtreme with Bose headunit upgrade

I've looked everywhere, forever, I'm sorry if I missed it but, I'm
dealing with a 2002 Xtreme Blazer with the Bose...
So I just installed a Kenwood KDC-X798 head unit. I wired 8 audio wires (2grn,2gry,2prp,2wht) to the matching colors on the input side of a ISVE61 audio converter. I wired the output wires on the converter to wiring harness BHA1858 that connects to the stock harness. The red, yellow, and black wires bypass the converter and connect straight to wiring harness. All powers up, but no audio. Ive checked, double checked, and triple checked the connections from output side of the converter to the wiring harness, the instructions from the ISVE61 converter say to wire 2 wires to 1 wire on 2 occasions, and the other 4 go to unmatching colors. Just no audio.
Please help!

altoncustomtech 07-01-2014 08:46 PM

It sounds to me like the trigger wire that turns on the stock Bose amp isn't connected to power. I would imagine it's like an aftermarket amp there's a remote turn on lead that turns the amp on so that it's not on all the time.

No quick returns on any searches for it yet tho. I'll keep looking :)

lazyboyjake 07-02-2014 01:06 AM

Wait, I'm confused. Why are you using the converter? All you need to do is wire the matching colors of your head unit to the wire harness and plug it in. Is this AAMP OF AMERICA, INC 011 PERIPHERALPREMIUM OUTPUT CONVERTER ISVE61 - Best Buy the converter you have? If so you shouldn't need it at all. Especially with that head unit you listed. And if you could post pictures of what you have going on, that would help a lot.

altoncustomtech 07-02-2014 09:37 AM

After taking a closer look at things I can agree with jake somewhat.

IF your truck has a Bose factory amp installed you should have been able to just use the RCA outs on the HU to provide the signal to the amp like the converter is doing. On that same note you wouldn't need the converter IF it doesn't have a Bose amp in it, the HU provides the power to the speakers. Unless that factory Bose amp runs on high level inputs (most diagrams I've seen do not indicate that though, all speak of low level inputs) then that's the kind of signal that needs provided. The higher voltage output from the HU's internal amp will burn/blow out the low level inputs on the amp, or any amp for that matter.

This is one of the many reasons why I HATE the Bose sytems. They overcomplicate the simplest of things and use drivers that are built on ancient technology. Just not worthy of the reputation they still tote around.

I've only messed with aftermarket replacement of a couple of Bose factory systems. Both of which EVERYTHING was replaced so all the issues with making aftermarket stuff work with the factory stuff wasn't an issue in those instances. Neither of those vehicles were the same platform (one not even the same brand) as yours so I'm not a great deal of help with your particular situation. Except maybe that I would just run all new speaker wires to each of the speaker locations. That will bypass all the factory BS and then it won't ever be an issue again while you own it, no matter what all you install and change. Then it will just as easily go back to the factory stuff when you're done, well that's how I'd do it anyway.

lazyboyjake 07-02-2014 10:30 AM

I agree, running new wire may not sound fun but it would be worth it in case you decide to upgrade your head unit in the future for some reason. Just make sure you mark what wire goes to what speaker and give yourself some extra wire to play with. The worst feeling ever is realizing you didn't run enough wire to get to everything properly.

01xtreme_chevy 07-02-2014 10:56 AM

I have installed a Kenwood head unit on my 2001 Xtreme. Found the Bose amplifier under the center console. My radio would work but no audio. I just bypassed the Bose amp and everything works now. Use all factory speakers.
All though the factory tweeters in the top of the dash don't like the extra wattage from the Kenwood.

Backdraft 09-01-2014 04:31 AM

I used to have the same problem. if you havent fixed it yet turn TI Traffic information on. Its located in the Menu on what input your on.

Input > Menu > RDS > TI > On

That should fix your problem.