Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   99 4dr 6 speaker non-bose radio problem (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/99-4dr-6-speaker-non-bose-radio-problem-91129/)

99Moneypit 11-08-2015 11:18 PM

99 4dr 6 speaker non-bose radio problem

Hello,
First, I read through the sticky and while I saw the question asked, I never saw an answer to this problem. My harness wires don't match up with what's listed in the first post. What I have, pin by pin is this:

1)grey 11) none
2)peach/(pink maybe?) 12) none
3)greenish blue (solid) 13) none
4)green 14) blue
5)black 15) none
6)purp w/ white 16)green
7)grey 17)green
8) none 18)blue
9)green 19)yellow
10)orange 20)brown

So I have 4 shades of green (pins 3,4,&17 thicker than 16, & 9), two different grey (Pin 1 being thicker than 7).

While I would almost re-pin the radio adapter if it wasn't for pin 14&16
Post#1
For Blazers and S-10s (including Bravada, Sonoma, Jimmy, Full-Size) the actual stereo wiring is as follows Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Antenna Trigger Pink
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 4" x 6" Dash
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

Post#3
12v constant is Orange - connect to yellow wire on radio
12v switched is yellow(larger wire) - connect to red wire on radio
ground is black, connect to black on radio
ignore the grey and brown, for must and illumination. don't worry about them

Speakers are
Left Front
Tan is positive - connect to solid gray on radio
Grey is negative - connect to gray with black tracer on radio

Rt Front
Lt Green is Positive - connect to solid white on radio
Dk Green is Negative - connect to white with black tracer on radio

Left Rear
Brown is positive - connect to solid green on radio
Yellow(smaller wire) is Negative - connect to green with black tracer on radio

Rt Rear
Positive is Dk. Blue - connect to solid purple wire on radio
Negative is Lt. Blue - connect to purple with black tracer on radio

So you can see what my question is. What goes to what in this mess? Am I missing something obvious or am I color blind? Granted, I haven't done many installs in the last 15 years but this used to be a piece of cake for me.

99Moneypit 11-08-2015 11:44 PM

So, other than the left and right front speakers being reversed on the adapter harness, does anyone know what the 'extra' blue, green and purple with white stripe are for and if I need to run anything different? The blazer came with steering wheel controls but I can take or leave them. The buttons only worked half the time with the factory radio anyways.

Toocute350 11-09-2015 02:57 AM

When it comes to speaker wires..Solid color wire usually positive side for speaker hook up.Striped wires usually ground side of connection.

99Moneypit 11-09-2015 09:37 PM

Thanks for the advice toocute350 but unless the wires are there as a dealer legacy for the optional Bose system on the Trailblazer I don't think it applies for this one. On a positive note, it looks like I'm either color blind or the wires have color shifted over the past 16 years. Also, it looks like the extra wires must have something to do with the steering wheel controls. The PAC SWI-RC connects to pin 16. That still leaves the extra green and the purple with white wires that don't connect to the radio adapter harness. FWIW, I de-pinned the amp turn on from the adapter and put it into pin 16 with a wire nut terminator in case I ever decide to add the SWI-RC. I'm running a dedicated remote turn on straight from the deck back to the amp and calling it a day. If anyone knows what the other two wires are actually for, please post it up so the next person doesn't go crazy trying to figure it out!
I'll find out for sure tomorrow after work, the harness is together and the mounting bracket assembled. Just have to run the 8 gauge through the ant hole and the rca's down through the center. Oh, and replace all 4 door speakers... Piece of cake, right? :D

Toocute350 11-10-2015 05:06 AM

so your telling me chevy put bose in it`s vehicle`s or was it something you`ve added?That`s really unheard if chevy did install bose.But if I where you I would contact bose themselves,maybe the local gm dealer or crutchfield

99Moneypit 11-10-2015 08:48 PM

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was thinking that the extra wires were put into the harness so that the Bose system would be easier to install. The Bose system was a factory option so any wiring would have been done there on the factory assembly line. Manufacturers will sometimes reduce costs by reducing the number of 'optional' wiring options, especially if it's something a dealership could install on site as an upgrade. In my case, I think those extra wires are there for the steering wheel controls. Installed the Pioneer, and aside from the same speakers that didn't work before the swap, it works. When I get off work tomorrow, I'll pop the panels off the doors and replace them as the next step. If they don't fix the problem, it will be on to continuity testing with a full speaker wiring replacement as the final solution.