Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 AM
ChevyBlazer4uHaters is on a distinguished road
Default Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup

Hello,

Ok, I've heard arguments FOR and AGAINST the following 2 theories in regards to: The ideal speaker set-up for the Blazer -->

1. Replacing all factory speakers is ideal - more speakers = better sound DUH!

2. Too many speakers can actually hurt the overall sound quality. 2 of the speakers should be removed - for good.

I know that the factory speaker set up (excluding my sub, listed last) is as follows (2003 model):

Front:

Dash - 4x6 (2)
Door - 6.5 (2)

Rear:

Side Panel - 6x9 (2)
Cargo - 12" Sub (1)

Currently, the only factory speakers that have not been replaced are the two 6.5" door speakers. Should I just take out the 6.5's/unplug them? Or should I have replaced those first, followed by removing the factory 6x9's altogether??

In your opinion, what is the ideal # of speakers needed for the Blazer? So far, I am in the "Replace All" camp, but not by a big margin, by any means. My setup sounds fine now, with all speakers running, including the two factory 6.5's in the doors. I'm thinking, replacing those will almost be like the "finishing touch" in the audio dept. for me

Thoughts?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Ideal speakers from experance consist of; a componant 6 1/2 kit, mids mounted in the stock door location with at least sound dampning around the baffle pieces; tweeters mounted in dash either aimed at driver or aimed at windshield (trial for phase) and lastly a 12 inch woofer. If you are under 20 yearsof age add two more woffers.

Those proponants of multiple speakers either dont hear very well or like to impress the uninformed. Or they have spent about three months with a pulse generator and FFT software.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM

Thats one more vote for the less = better debate!

*sigh*

But you do make valid points. Luckily, i didnt get very high quality 6x9s, so wont be an issue...

Thanks

Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 PM

I wouldnt call that luck. Yup worst of both worlds.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Music was made to be listened to in front of you.
So adding speakers to the rear (anything but a sub for bass) is useless.
Get yourself a good set of components and an amp to power them and enjoy the music.

if you have people riding in the back seat often, You CAN leave those speakers in, and hooked up, just change the fading on the deck.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 AM

Sooooo.....overall census here is to:

take out the rear 6x9s, and replace the door speakers, correct??

If anyone gets bored enough, feel free to post any suggestions on what brand/model of 6.5s I should be considering....

Thansks a bunch! lol

Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Well that depends.... price limit.... do you want to run an amp? (suggest it)
a bit more into it than just slapping some speakers into the stock locations and expecting something amazing.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
dirt101 is on a distinguished road

component 6.5s in the front with an amp is best IMO. front stage only, then your sub stage can be set up based on taste. Mines loud, LOL

Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Infinity Kappa with Alpine amp is what I chose. Put the xovers in the kick panels. Took a little while to get the tweeters phased correctly. With a JL 13 flat sub and another Alpine amp. Good price/performance ratio.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
Music was made to be listened to in front of you.
So adding speakers to the rear (anything but a sub for bass) is useless.
Get yourself a good set of components and an amp to power them and enjoy the music.

if you have people riding in the back seat often, You CAN leave those speakers in, and hooked up, just change the fading on the deck.
Ha! I'm a guitar player in a band, 99% of the music comes from behind me!

Seriously, music should immerse you, surround you completely. So I'm all for 2 in dash, 4 in the doors, and sub in the rear.

Quick Reply: Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup