Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Adding an AUX jack (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/adding-aux-jack-94508/)

puttster 04-20-2017 12:00 AM

Adding an AUX jack

I've had it with my stupid FM transmitter cr*p! I read how to tap into the CD L&R speaker wires and I'll give that a try. I'm wondering where a good place might be to add the 3.5mm jack. The poster uses a corner of the face of the radio. Has anyone tried somewhere else, of knows of problems I might face doing so?

putts
2002 Xtreme

puttster 04-23-2017 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I added the new aux jack to the blank insert to the left of central vents (pic). If I ever replace the stock radio with a hands free one I'll put the microphone there.

I followed the S-10 guy's (picture heavy) instructions untill I pulled the faceplate and saw what all was involved. So instead of putting the jack there, I drilled a hole in the side of the radio and ran the cable through there, using two or three feet of cable with a computer molex (smaller than pic) connector in the middle. That way when you reassemble, you first put the radio in, then set the dash panel (with the aux jack) up close, then you can reach in there and click the two cables together.

As far as the wiring goes, those itsy bitsy cat5 wires are a challenge even to strip. I used heat shrink tubing like the guy said and don't think I could have done it without that. The molex took ten and the board took maybe eight.. On the jack, I threaded the wires through the holes in the 5 terminals and then gobbed liquid tape in there to keep them from touching each other. Probably should have used het shrink there, too.. The ABS that the jack goes through is thick, so you have to Dremel it down.

The project took me about six hours. The performance is okay, when the song in mt phone stops you can faintly hear the song on the CD still playing. Mu guess is the problem is in the jack, don't know if it is Radio Shack's fault or mine.

blazen_red_4x4 04-24-2017 10:58 AM

Just seems like it would be easier to install an aftermarket radio with an AUX input... but I'm the type of person that HAS to have an aftermarket radio just because of tunability and audio quality... personal preference...

puttster 04-25-2017 06:51 AM

It would be easier, I agree! And faster and better.

puttster 06-20-2017 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But if you still want to try it (see HOW-TO: AUX Port in your OE Delco Stereo! (Picture Heavy) - S-10 Forum ), below is a diagram of how it should be wired (not like I did). The plastic plate where I have my 3.5mm socket popped right out and I had plenty of slack in the wire to make the repair.

Radio shack is out of business so you have to look around for the same connector. Unless you can solder, be sure to get the ones whose 5 terminals have holes in them to accept the wires.

To operate, get a CD playing. Then get some music on your phone. Plug in both ends of the male-to-male 3.5mm connector. Turn up the volume.

When someone calls you, the phone will operate as it is supposed to (music is interrupted) except the voice will come out of the car speakers instead of the phone speakers.