Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

almost finished...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: almost finished...

i think the resin is to add strength and make it more rigid. im sure it also helps with sealing it though. im still not sure if i want do it or not. to anyone with fiberglass experience, how hard is it for a first timer?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Addingresinto the box is about as straight forward as painting with a brush. Your not technically doing any fiberglass mat or cloth application.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

The resin is just to seal the box air tight and keep moisture out...

Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

tonight i got my box wrapped. i got a tiny bit of overspray on the outside and a tiny bit of glue leaked out of a few seams. its not perfect but its as perfect as i could possibly make it. the whole not-square thing made it sort of difficult but i eventually got the enitre box covered. ill try and get some pics tomorrow

so... if anybody has any secrets on how to get super77 glue off of the outside of speakerbox carpet, SPEAK UP

also, i picked up 2 20oz bags of polyfil. can i use it all? i read somewhere about a half pound per ft^3 but rather than (somewhat) measure it out, can i just stuff it all in? is there any downside to having too much? its not the fiberglass stuff on crutchfield or partsexpress, its just polyester stuffing like in a couch cushion. should still work right?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 AM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

You're good with the polyfil, about 1/2lbs per cube is what I do...

As far as glue on the carpet, you are in luck. I will part with one of my secrets...Take a small scrap piece of carpet, fold it up a time or two. Pour some acetone on it, and work out the glue on the seams and overspray. Be careful not to soak the seams on the box as the carpet will lift up if you penetrate the glue below the carpet with acetone...

Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have that hump from the back tires in your truck? It doesn't look like it. I have 2 humps that take up a lot of room in my truck so my box has to be able to fit in between them.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

He built a custom box to fit around those humps. Take a look at his pictures on the first page.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: dimmuborgir6nik6

Do you have that hump from the back tires in your truck? It doesn't look like it. I have 2 humps that take up a lot of room in my truck so my box has to be able to fit in between them.
exactly what lenny said. i have the humps and my old box was pretty snug in between them. i knew i wanted to build my own box this time around instead of a prefab one. i wanted to be able to still have cargo room and a decent woofer. i figured since you cant really lay much cargo on top of a curved hump, i would build the box around it.

heres some recent pics of it carpeted and theres also a 3d sketch of one of my early idea/designs

^^^ this corner of the box took longer to cover than all 5 other sides combined. i watched the elemental designs box-carpeting movie probably 4 times while doing it

these seams were also pretty difficult because (if you follow the ED movie like i did) you end up with 5 strips of carpet that need to lay flat. fold 2 down and cut and then fold the next 2 down and cut... it didnt work out as good as i hoped but it still looks okay. plus, there will be an amp on top of that whole side so it wont really be that noticeable.

this is pretty much exactly how the box ended up except the cutout in the corner is a 45-45-90 triangle instead of the oblong distorted trapezoid like the one above

Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

That looks great for a first attempt, only gets easier from here on. So what did you decide to do for the 5 chan? Run all new wires to the speakers or speed wire?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran

speedwire...Pat gave me a link for a speedwire kit for $45 but i looked around on the website and found it for 99 cents per foot. i dont think ill really need more than 10ft..

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/18...TE_p_1814.html

Quick Reply: almost finished...