Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp Wiring Preferences

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
I'm partial to kicker and fosgate wiring myself. anyone who says wire is wire should be backhanded with a piece of cheap "4awg" and a piece of real 4 awg.
Wire is wire... so long as its oxygen free copper and the proper gauge... LOL...

I have been reading reviews... and it seems like every company is padding their wires....

Old 10-13-2010, 02:44 AM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

i've been out of audio for quite some time, i was not aware that company were skimping on wire like that.. I retract my previous statement. It's been years since I've bought anything new.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 01vortec
i've been out of audio for quite some time, i was not aware that company were skimping on wire like that.. I retract my previous statement. It's been years since I've bought anything new.
Yea its crazy, I was reading reviews and the jackets are all the proper size apparently but when you strip it down, its a smaller gauge wire.....

That is completely ridiculous and I would send it back for a refund immediately, but its a good thing we do have the internet, and reviews!
FTW!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

There's many many problems out there with companies using CCA wire and not advertising the fact on packaging as well as the common problem that the wire isn't the true gauge size it's advertised to be. I've done installations with many brands out there and while some are okay the best thus far seems to be the Knukonceptz, Kicker Hyperflex, the American Bass wire the other fella was talking about is very good as well and even Shok industries has real good wire. They're CCA is actually oversized, surprisingly enough, so I'm told. Once I discovered Knu, I've not purchased any other brand of wire. They're prices are pretty much as good as it gets for a product that, so far in my experience, is as good or better than many big name brands out there.

Just my .02

Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
There's many many problems out there with companies using CCA wire and not advertising the fact on packaging as well as the common problem that the wire isn't the true gauge size it's advertised to be. I've done installations with many brands out there and while some are okay the best thus far seems to be the Knukonceptz, Kicker Hyperflex, the American Bass wire the other fella was talking about is very good as well and even Shok industries has real good wire. They're CCA is actually oversized, surprisingly enough, so I'm told. Once I discovered Knu, I've not purchased any other brand of wire. They're prices are pretty much as good as it gets for a product that, so far in my experience, is as good or better than many big name brands out there.

Just my .02

Which kit from KnuKonceptz do you use? I was looking at some of their kits and one was the 1/0 gauge and it stated it uses Copper Clad Aluminum rather than Oxygen Free Copper.... They claim they oversize to offset this, but I am curious to if I just missed a kit that was OFC...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
I'm partial to kicker and fosgate wiring myself.
you really compared kicker and rockford wire? you should be backhanded with kicker 4 gauge then rockford 4 gauge. rockford will lay you on your ***. my 8 gauge rockford wire was thicker then a buddys kicker 4 gauge. not even joking. this was about 6 monthes ago.

KNU wire is probably the best price you will find and they dont short you. iv gotten kolossus fleks 4 gauge and it was great wire.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by JShark
you really compared kicker and rockford wire? you should be backhanded with kicker 4 gauge then rockford 4 gauge. rockford will lay you on your ***. my 8 gauge rockford wire was thicker then a buddys kicker 4 gauge. not even joking. this was about 6 monthes ago.

KNU wire is probably the best price you will find and they dont short you. iv gotten kolossus fleks 4 gauge and it was great wire.
I will be checking out rockford wire shortly, I have been looking at the JL audio 4 gauge seems like a decent price so far....

And your carputer monitor situation, I have a 22in monitor from a couple years back that I thought about using, but its too massive for an amateur job...

Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

knowing jl it should be good quality stuff. are you looking for a full amp kit?

im thinking of upgrading mine myself, 29 incher from hp so i may put this 21 to use in my blazer... somehow.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:30 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

I have both. kicker in my 240sx, and rockford in my girls eclipse. They're exactly the same thickness. the kicker is MUCH easier to work with though.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:36 PM
BF Veteran

knowing jl it should be good quality stuff. are you looking for a full amp kit?

im thinking of upgrading mine myself, 29 incher from hp so i may put this 21 to use in my blazer... somehow.
Yes, full kit.... on eBay, the JL kit in the 4 gauge is as cheap as 50's, with 10-15 shipping

Quick Reply: Amp Wiring Preferences