Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amps need to breathe…

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Question Amps need to breathe…

So I hope this is in the correct section as it deals with an amp… but if not I apologize.
Amps need to breath and as most are mounted somewhere with air flow (i.e. a trunk, under a seat, etc) they get the cool breeze they need to grow up big and strong.

I plan to mount mine INSIDE the center console. So I figure it should be smothered and dead in about 2 weeks in August. To head this off, I plan to run 2 computer cooling fans wired to a rocker switch to keep the amp frosty as needed. I want to mount a 80mm intake fan to the bottom of the CD holder, and a 120mm exhaust fan to the back of the console, near to top (heat rises) where the factory ash tray (?) square hole is. Minor modifications (cutting) and mounting should be easy enough to do, I’m just worried that this will be sufficient to move heat off the amp.

Any ideas, alternative locations, or any thing else useful would be appreciated. I’m all ears. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

what amp? and are you going to be pushing it hard core or what?

if its that big of a question then why not just put it under passenger seat?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
Default Welcome to my can o' worms...

Ok boomtruck97, here we go. Will not be pushing it hard core, to be honest I have never even hooked one up before. I just have a feeling it is crap...
And it will not fit under passenger side seat.
I want to do a complete change out of all components of my OEM system. Water + Speakers = bad.
The attached img (crap I know) is my basic lay out. The TiS crap was given to me, new in box, so don't beat me up. I will not be setting any sound system quality records, and this is not a competition system, it is simply so I can enjoy music again with SOME tone variance.

Sub and Amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io+T510PK.html
I will be using 4 channels to push 4 5.25 jl woofer/tweeters http://www.productwiki.com/jl-audio-vr525-csi/ with the dash tweeters routed INTO the crossover at each front door speaker. The amp will be run on 8 ga. wire, RCAs to attach HU to amp.

*Will airflow be sufficient to save this turd?
*Hell can i even tie dash tweets to the tweet-out on crossover?

I also have a 500/1 JL amp to push real subs when i can get them. At that point I will probably use this 700/5 to push just the woofer/tweeters.

Attached Thumbnails -system-layout.jpg  

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-13-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member
CDJr is on a distinguished road

I doubt theyll keep it "frosty" but I would think theyd keep it cool enough to survive. Ive done what you are doing, using computer fans, and they work fine...the good ones will move much air and are very quiet. But I wire them up directly to the REM power source so they turn off and on with the amps instead of using a manual switch

Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Beginning Member
TylerDurdenPSSC is on a distinguished road

CDJr makes a good point, and it looks to me like you know what you're doing.

Just one question, are you going to upgrade your power / ground coming from your battery / alternator? I only ask because I think I saw you said this is your first trip on the merry-go-round.

Definitely just want suggest you go for it, if you haven't considered it previously.

You shouldn't have any problems wiring the tweets into the xovers. If you understand flow, and know how to hook speakers up, you'll be golden. Just don't overthink.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran

in the middle of this process right now. will post pics in a bit if it all works out. thank you for the input