Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Any Good Speakers?? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/any-good-speakers-71265/)

ty3595 06-06-2012 09:37 PM

Any Good Speakers??

i was wondering what type of door speakers you guys put in ur car. i want to replace all four of the factory ones for something new. If anyone has a good speaker setup let me no. i dont want to spend to much unless they are a good quality speaker.

Rottidog 06-06-2012 09:59 PM

Speakers are speakers, they work & blow & the BEST thing you can do for a speaker is get it clean power!

OK, there are better speakers & they will make a noticeable difference in sound quality & a few audio dudes here will chirp in & give you their experiences. But clean power makes or breaks a speaker & your ear drums (not to mention embarrass you). I'm pretty sure the audio affection-ados will not disagree.

altoncustomtech 06-07-2012 08:38 AM

You're right Rottidog, quite honestly, speakers are dumb. They do what we tell them to do in the environment we choose to put them in. I've seen and heard a couple (note only a couple, its very rare) very cheap speaker installs that were done with exceptional care, powered with several times their rating that sounded far better than anyone would expect, pretty much amazing. I've also seen and heard absurdly expensive speakers sound like crap with horrible installations powered by the HU.

Those are the two extremes, but you get the picture. The first thing you need to do is choose a budget. The second thing is figure out exactly what you want from the new speakers. The third thing is to decide just how involved you want to get in the installation of the new speakers.

The reason the budget is first is simply because a person has to draw a line somewhere. With speaker systems out there that cost $2k, $4k and even almost $10k the sky is the limit with what a person CAN spend, but in reality the majority of us simply can't afford that. When you pick a budget, try your best to stick to it and don't let a salesman ever talk you into something you're not really wanting if you buy from a local shop.

Once you've picked a budget, what do you want to do with it? Are you simply looking to replace the blown or shot factory speakers, are you wanting to make it loud enough to peel the skin off your face, or are you wanting a system that will reproduce music so convincingly that when you close your eyes you won't be able to tell the difference between your vehicle and a recording studio or live performance. Most of us shoot for something in the middle, you'll have to decide where your listening tastes and budget land you.

Finally, you'll need to figure out how much of the budget and just how much work you're willing to put into installing the new speakers. A high end installation would involve custom built mounting locations for the speakers, a full sound deadening package, and much much more which gets real expensive real quick even if you can do all that work yourself and gets astronomical if you have a shop do it. Trust me tho that the installation is the key to just how good the speakers will sound no matter what you've spent on them. I recommend to most people at minimum a little sound deadening and a solid baffle for speaker mounting. Doing so isn't a large sum of money and generally yields a much better result than simply mounting the new speakers to the factory plastic baffle and calling it done.

Now that I'm done with that ranting I can tell you straight up that I need more information before I will give you a good recommendation. Ideally getting decent speakers coupled with a decent installation and a decent amp CAN get you results that will make you the envy of anyone who sits in your truck. I'm familiar with many brands and models at prices from the pocket change level to costing the same or more than our trucks cost us. If you can answer those questions above I can give you a detailed recommendation and I would much rather give you recommendations based on your real NEEDS rather than just toss a useless list of products at you. All too often on threads like this one you see responses like "Hey these Brand X speakers I just bought for $20 kick ass I've never heard anything that loud before you should definitely get them too!" or "I heard those in my brothers, friends, uncles, nephew's car and they sound like crap, don't buy those!" Neither of those are valid arguments either for or against any one product, they're far too subjective, which is the issue when it comes to anyone's opinion on what "sounds good". Just because 1,000 people tell you something sounds good to them doesn't mean it's going to sound good to you and don't believe for one minute that you should have to change your listening preferences just because that many people have a different opinion. The thing I HATE to hear the MOST from salesmen at shops is "Oh these speakers are the best. Even you you don't like them now you'll get used to the sound, they're that good." or any variation of that statement. The most important thing is what sounds good to you.

Rottidog 06-07-2012 09:23 PM

Pffft talk about going the extra mile Alton, WOW! Very nice reply & informative... rep points for that for sure!