Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Where can I get the wirin's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road
Default Where can I get the wirin's?

I'm looking to install my first sub and amp today (weather permitting), and I was going to build my wiring from scratch. I went to Ace, but the thickest they had in stock was 8g, and wasn't solid core (if this matters). Do Car audio places sell by the foot? I already know what I need, I just don't want to buy the kits because they seem to skimp on some important stuff.

I've got a AudioBahn 4002J and 2x12 kickers

Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

First of all any wire in a gauge heavy enough to handle the current of the average car audio amplifier in a solid wire would be a BIG pain in the *** to run. The higher the strand count the more flexible and easier it is to use.

Yes most car audio shops do sell wire by the foot, but you're generally going to pay more for the wire, fuse holder, fuse, connectors, RCA's, remote wire and speaker wire separately than you would for the same items in a kit. What exactly does a typical kit skimp on? Generally they come with all the wire (power, ground, remote and speaker), terminals, fuse and holder, split loom tubing, wire ties and RCA's needed for pretty much any amplifier installation in anything but the longest vehicles where they can come up a few feet short at times. I don't understand where they skimp on anything except the quality of some kits like the ones you buy at Wal-Mart and at auto parts stores.

If you don't mind waiting for it to ship, and it wouldn't be a long wait since you're in the same state they are, you could order a very nice kit with everything you need AND a high quality wire from Knukonceptz.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Starting Member

Okay I see. I was thinking the skimpiest of skimpers. My local audio place is always closed by the time I get home.
Anyways, I had looked at knukoncepts last night but wasn't totally sure. Which kit is going to be right for me? I'm thinking this one will get me rolling pretty good This will be my first amp/sub install EVER so I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I SHOULD go have a professional install it, but you don't get learnt nothin that way.

The A4002J will put out 125w x2 @4Ohms RMS / 250w x2 @2Ohms RMS/ 500w x1 @2Ohms RMS. I don't understand watts and Ohms, I've played guitar for almost 10 years and I still can't wrap my head around it when it comes to amps. Thank you AltonCT

Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

that kit is plenty for what you need.

Which kickers do you have? i can help you with detailed wiring diagrams etc if you can give me the model numbers for the kickers.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Starting Member

Im going to say Kicker CVRs? My neighbor said his brother painted them white... I'll have to finish blowing the paint off them!

Attached Thumbnails Where can I get the wirin's?-1240503_725990360760632_532785414_n.jpg  
Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

looks to be these guys.
2 Kicker CVR12 Compvr 12" 4 Ohm 1600W Car Subwoofers Dual 12" SEALED Sub Box 013034027677 | eBay

honestly id rather you remove one and look on the bottom. itll tell you what ohm,and power.

As for you not understanding watts,simply put, ignore "max watts". true constant power is the rms. so say these are 800 watts peak,400 rms. the rms is the true power. if these are the subs you have your amp will severely be under powering them.

im pretty sure these subs are 4 ohm. so you will be giving them 125 each,instead of what they are rated for. they might still sound ok,but you can get much more out of them. If they are 4ohm,and has 2 sets of wire connectors on each side (dvc) wire them this way
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...ohm_2ch-br.jpg

Old 09-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Starting Member

That would be wired in parallel right? I'll take one out tomorrow and post back. I'm guessing since the amp is going to be very underpowered with these subs, I'll have to really crank the gain on it. EDIT; Nevermind, I've just read that's a bad thing.

Last edited by Badco; 09-11-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
BF Veteran

honestly you could turn the gain all the way up since its only 125 @ 4 ohm. wont hurt it.

its only a bad thing if your amp overpowers the subs. just PLEASE make sure wiring right.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chris015
honestly you could turn the gain all the way up since its only 125 @ 4 ohm. wont hurt it.

its only a bad thing if your amp overpowers the subs. just PLEASE make sure wiring right.
I'll save the wiring diagram to my computer. Do you think this amp would be better off driving door speakers? Because it's definitely a nice looking amplifier, and an amp this small wouldn't be worth much on the market.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran

yea. honestly.

im a lil unsober tonight (bacardi ftw). once richphotos gets on my messenger il get em to message me what he runs for his nice subs. its cheap as frig too. i just cant remember it right now lol.

Quick Reply: Where can I get the wirin's?