Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Best amp and speaker setup (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/best-amp-speaker-setup-93254/)

iceblue068 09-21-2016 08:10 PM

Best amp and speaker setup

I will soon be upgrading my OE stereo in my 98 Blazer and I wanted to know if anyone has any idea what speaker and amp setup would sound good with me just using the original six speaker setup that is a step better than factory sound. Thanks

Markolc 09-21-2016 11:11 PM

So let me get this straight, are you wanting to re-use the original speakers, or are you open to aftermarket speakers in the original locations?

How much of the install are you doing yourself, and what's your budget? $$$?

rexmburns 09-22-2016 12:33 AM

This is impossible to respond to without knowing your budget sorry.

iceblue068 09-22-2016 10:22 AM

I basically want to replace the original speakers w/ aftermarket ones ,I have been watching a set of Rockford fosgate for $65.00 per set on ebay so I'm thinking my budget would probably be around $250-$300?

Markolc 09-22-2016 10:44 PM

So from what I understand from your first post, you don't want a sub. And it seems like the head unit is separate from your budget.

The 6-speaker setup in a typical blazer is 6.5" speakers in the front doors, 5.25" speakers in the rear doors, and either tweeters or 4x6 speakers in the dash. The front door speakers and dash speakers are run off the same wire from the factory, so you still only have a 4-channel stereo setup, regardless of how many speakers.

I'll give you advice for nice, CLEAN, high quality sound that you'll be very happy with, that will be easy to install and leave you very happy.

First thing, forget about the rear doors, they will never supply you with bass, power, because they are just too small. All they do is muddy up the sound field in most cases. Music comes from in front of you, not around you. Think back to when you've been at a concert, where does the music come from, the stage or the surrounds? Same theory applies for good sound quality in your car.

Invest in a good pair of component speakers. This will replace the speakers in your front doors, and put some good tweeters into your dash. You mentioned Rockford Fosgate before, Here's an example P165-SE. They can be had on ebay between $125-$160. There are plenty of very capable component speakers available from Polk, Infinity, JBL etc all in about the same price range

While you have the doors apart installing speakers, take the time to install some sound deadening material Knukonceptz. That kit will reduce your rattles that these new speakers will bring with their powerful mid-bass.

You can be done here (assuming you are getting a new head unit) and you may be happy enough with the sound. However, if you'd like it louder, CLEANER, crisper, punchier then please keep following along.

Last thing I highly recommend, is a small amp to really make those speakers sing. I recommend the Alpine KTP-445U. This little amp gives 90watts x2 and is all you will need to power a pair of component speakers. Best part of this amp, is it installs right behind your factory or aftermarket radio, is as simple to wire as it is wiring in an aftermarket head unit (you wont need to run a separate power wire to the battery). And when I say small, this thing is small. I mean it's barely bigger than my TV remote, which allows it to install almost anywhere inside the dash. This amp will even let you expand onto a separate amp for a sub in the future should you choose to continue upgrading. You can find this on ebay for about $115. This amp easily installs onto your factory Stereo also, so in case you don't have your new head unit yet, you can still go ahead with the install of your speakers and amp.

So to recap - Component speakers $125
Amp - $115
Sound deadener - $60

Comes out to $300 on the nose, within your budget.