Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Which is the best Capacitor Brand? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/best-capacitor-brand-14122/)

S10Blazer 11-02-2007 10:42 AM

Which is the best Capacitor Brand?

Hey guys, I have a Power Acoustik 4 Farad Capacitor. This thing really sucks. I mean, idk if its cause i bought it off of ebay, but i really dont think its doing its job. 4 farad is supposed to handle 4000 watts right? Well, i only have a California 1200 watt amp. Everytime i blast the system, i get dimming, and the voltage needle drops quite a bit. I know a friend that has like 3 Rockford caps in his truck, and the needle does not move one bit. So do you guys think that Rockford is the best?

cliro 11-02-2007 11:08 AM

RE: Which is the best Capacitor Brand?

caps are all useless, i'd check your gauges, alternator, or do the big 3

blazinloud 11-02-2007 11:19 AM

^^^yup that cap is just one more thing for your alternator to charge.

you would be much better off without it.

get a half decent battery and the big 3 in at least 4 gauge and you'll be fine. your pulling what......500, 600 watts?

hillbillyinOhio 11-02-2007 12:10 PM

i would check your ground. no way should you get dimming with that power. and yes, caps are junk.

make sure that you have a solid ground, where is your ground for the amps at anyways????

cloak01ls 11-02-2007 12:57 PM

The Best Capacitor is a Battery..And like HillBilly said, you should not have any dimming with your setup if it is properly installed...Check for proper grounds and terminaling...

bobditts 11-02-2007 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: cloak01ls

The Best Capacitor is a Battery..
while I do agree that caps are useless unless you have upraded your big 3 and battery, The above statement is a little off. A cap and a battery distribute power very differently. Caps are designed to discharge power very quickly while a battery is more of a slow constant discharge.

blazinloud 11-02-2007 05:36 PM

maybe he meant running 2?

bobditts 11-02-2007 05:39 PM

it doesnt matter how many batteries you have, they still arent going to discharge as quickly as a cap. Multiple batteries are only good for running the stereo for prolonged periods with the car off anyways.

thegr81 11-02-2007 07:11 PM

Or what i have seen done before is run a seperate battery for just the system, which i have seen used is a optima blue top deep cycle and just run everything off that. Just a lil of what i have seen. [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

bobditts 11-02-2007 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: thegr81

Or what i have seen done before is run a seperate battery for just the system, which i have seen used is a optima blue top deep cycle and just run everything off that. Just a lil of what i have seen. [sm=yeahsmile.gif]
if you are going to do that your alternator has to be large enough to power 2 batteries and you have to use a battery isolator to seperate the power flow. Definitely a good idea though if you are running a large system.