Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Door speaker depth.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member
Kipper667 is on a distinguished road
Default Door speaker depth.

Does anyone know what the maximum depth for a door speaker is? Most 6.5" speakers have a depth of around 2 1/2" (2.5") +/-0.125 but the speakers I'm looking at are 3 1/8" (3.125"). While it's only a 0.5" difference I'd like to get some input before purchasing them. I'd pull the door panel and measure it but the temp here hasn't been above 15* in over a month.

98 4-Door 4x4 Blazer. Speakers I'm looking at are the Pioneer TS-M650PRO.

Also, is the back door depth the same as the front?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 PM
sanitarium is on a distinguished road

in my 01, i tried mounting a 2.6" deep pro mid and bottomed out on the window guide with about 1/2" of a gap between speaker and stock adapter. with a 3/4" thick piece of MDF as a spacer ring the driver does touch the door panel on one edge.
hope that helps!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It depends on the diameter of the magnet. Early in the transformation of the audio in my truck I had a pair of Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" component sets installed in the factory mounting baffles. That mid has a mounting depth of 2-7/8" but didn't have any issues with interference with that window guide.

I would imagine the pro audio mid you tried out had a larger diameter magnet that caused it to interfere. The 3/4" spacer was enough to get it clear of the window guide and you were good. Another thing that doesn't help is the slight angle and offset of the factory adapter.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
It depends on the diameter of the magnet. Early in the transformation of the audio in my truck I had a pair of Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" component sets installed in the factory mounting baffles. That mid has a mounting depth of 2-7/8" but didn't have any issues with interference with that window guide.

I would imagine the pro audio mid you tried out had a larger diameter magnet that caused it to interfere. The 3/4" spacer was enough to get it clear of the window guide and you were good. Another thing that doesn't help is the slight angle and offset of the factory adapter.
my window guide was almost centered behind the hole. so a magnet of that depth would have to be smaller than an asprin bottle. i'm guessing it's different for the different year models then.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM

I dunno, mine is a 2001 as well, GMC Jimmy.

Looking back at pictures of the build in my truck I'm seeing the window guide right in the center of it as well. So, I'm not sure what it is or why there would be any difference between them.

Here's mine with the factory baffle, the window guide easily visible inside the door.

Here's a shot with the PG RSD mid installed in the factory baffle with no spacers and no clearance issues at all.

Bizarre, at least as to why one or another would fit or not fit from one truck to the next.

I didn't remember the window guide being so far forward in the door like that. That's going to put a damper on the works on the installation of my 8's in the doors, lol. Looks like it's going to be custom fabrication all the way.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 02-01-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Name:  kn79shn.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  564.3 KB

Looks the same to me.. so i have no clue.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM

Me either.

Gonna be fun to figure out how to get these put in there. 4" depth, lol.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Wow alton, I always knew your pics showed up large on my laptop, but I'm running a full 1080p 27" monitor now, and they still are larger than my whole page.

Also, what kind of 8s are those?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM

I have no idea why they show up oversize and regular size at different times.

Those are Peerless SLS 8" woofers, part number is 830667. Really great little drivers with some very well designed, low distortion motors. Those crappy pictures don't do them any justice either.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
Kipper667 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the late reply.

Ugh, so the window track is right behind the speaker. That sucks. If it wasn't there I have very little doubt that it wouldn't fit.

I like the idea of the PB ring to extend the depth but I'm guessing that the speaker would stick out past the door panel speaker grate, wouldn't it?

I have one other option I've been mulling around in my head so I'd like to run it past you guys and get your opinion.

My drivers side panel has 1-2 broken screw mounts. The ones under the armrest. I'm going to get a new, used, one from a bone yard. Since the odds of me finding a clean one are slim, and I like modding stuff, I was going to replace the fabric areas on the door panel with either leather or a faux leather. Not sure on the color or type yet. But until I do the fabric swap I'll just install it. Which leaves me with the old broken one to experiment on.

I was thinking of using the old panel as a template to build a fiberglass extension/housing to ensure that the speakers fit. I have built several custom-fit fiberglass subwoofer boxes for myself and friends, 11 in total, and I'm quite good at it (or so I tell myself (-: ). I believe, the way the panel is built, that I could remove the portion housing the speaker and replace it with a panel piece that I built that would allow for a deeper speaker and give it a better angle. I just don't know if fiber will hold up to constant door closing and feet hitting it.

Firstly, is it even possible to remove and subsequently replace that portion of the panel?

Here is the panel. Door speaker depth.-panel-1.jpg In RED is the area I would replace. In BLUE is the area I wish to reupholster.

It is quite a large area to replace. I could just build a panel for the bottom only, but I don't know how I would blend it into the existing panel. Example: Door speaker depth.-panel-2.jpg
I would probably just re-cover it with the same type of leather/vinyl. The door pockets would also be removed. They just collects dirt and I never use them.

It's just an idea. I already have leftover resin and fiber, I'm just not sure if it's doable but it seems like a fun project and I have plenty of time and motivation to take it on. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Door speaker depth.