Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Possible Replacement For OEM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member
Radar696 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Replacement For OEM Radio

My wife and I bought a 2003 S-10 Blazer, 4.3, 2dr, 2 wheel drive, from her brother.
He sold it to us for a really good price but as time goes on I keep finding the things that he neglected once he had run into a cement barrier, smashing up the front passenger side.

So aside from that I have a question about the stereo.
The CD player has quit working and I would at least like one that still will play CD's.
Maybe if I could find one, that also has a tape player since these don't have an aux. input I can at least use a tape adapter.

I'm guessing that since these have some type of security built into them that I may not be able to just swap them out?
Even If the power is disconnected?
I may be able to find what I'm looking for at a U-Pull near me.
I was just there yesterday picking up a couple of other things that the blazer needed.
I was told that an OEM radio would only cost me $25 plus tax.
I'm not an audiophile and all I'm looking for is another OEM that is compatible that I could drop in.

I will share a photo so you will know what I'm looking at.
Thanks for looking,

Radar

Attached Thumbnails Possible Replacement For OEM Radio-blzr_rdio-640.jpg  

Last edited by Radar696; 07-29-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:00 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Radar696
My wife and I bought a 2003 S-10 Blazer, 4.3, 2dr, 2 wheel drive, from her brother.
He sold it to us for a really good price but as time goes on I keep finding the things that he neglected once he had run into a cement barrier, smashing up the front passenger side.

So aside from that I have a question about the stereo.
The CD player has quit working and I would at least like one that still will play CD's.
Maybe if I could find one, that also has a tape player since these don't have an aux. input I can at least use a tape adapter.

I'm guessing that since these have some type of security built into them that I may not be able to just swap them out?
Even If the power is disconnected?
I may be able to find what I'm looking for at a U-Pull near me.
I was just there yesterday picking up a couple of other things that the blazer needed.
I was told that an OEM radio would only cost me $25 plus tax.
I'm not an audiophile and all I'm looking for is another OEM that is compatible that I could drop in.

I will share a photo so you will know what I'm looking at.
Thanks for looking,

Radar
I have that exact same unit in mine.
Unless you're bent on keeping it OEM, you're gonna have to buy an aftermarket unit. I really like my stock unit so when it died I bought another one identical to it on Ebay for $150. It came unlocked, mind you. A unit from another vehicle (i.e. pull-a-part) will have to be programmed to your vehicle by the dealer at your expense.
They also have stock units with bluetooth capabilities on Ebay.
just fyi.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
I have that exact same unit in mine.
Unless you're bent on keeping it OEM, you're gonna have to buy an aftermarket unit. I really like my stock unit so when it died I bought another one identical to it on Ebay for $150. It came unlocked, mind you. A unit from another vehicle (i.e. pull-a-part) will have to be programmed to your vehicle by the dealer at your expense.
They also have stock units with bluetooth capabilities on Ebay.
just fyi.
Thanks for the reply Blazer.

I hope it's okay if I call you Blazer?
I've read through the forum some and noticed that many use that name for you.

Maybe I'm not using the proper terms but I searched through Ebay, well at least the first three pages and only found one radio identical to mine.
Although I'm thinking that it may never have been used since all of the buttons still have their coloring.
$99 but it does not state that it has been unlocked.
Still it might be worth the price just to get something that looks original.
Not that I'm trying to restore it to all original content.

Radar

Old 07-30-2018, 09:11 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

For the price of aftermarket radios now, myself personally I would just toss in a cheap unit from Walmart... A $60 Pioneer and a $20 install kit and an afternoon of your time and that aftermarket radio will probably outlast any old used unit you might buy and install, have way more options and features than a factory radio, and probably sound worlds better too...

Just my $0.02

Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Blazer.

I hope it's okay if I call you Blazer?
I've read through the forum some and noticed that many use that name for you.

Maybe I'm not using the proper terms but I searched through Ebay, well at least the first three pages and only found one radio identical to mine.
Although I'm thinking that it may never have been used since all of the buttons still have their coloring.
$99 but it does not state that it has been unlocked.
Still it might be worth the price just to get something that looks original.
Not that I'm trying to restore it to all original content.

Radar
yeah I got lucky and made an offer of $150 and they accepted. All the other ones I saw listed were $250 and up.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 AM
Beginning Member
Wheela is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
For the price of aftermarket radios now, myself personally I would just toss in a cheap unit from Walmart... A $60 Pioneer and a $20 install kit and an afternoon of your time and that aftermarket radio will probably outlast any old used unit you might buy and install, have way more options and features than a factory radio, and probably sound worlds better too...

Just my $0.02
^^ Agree'd completely, I've got a $40 Walmart deck that doesn't even have a CD or Tape slot, just radio and Bluetooth. I use the USB port with an 8gig thumb drive and have endless music to listen to. It even had a blue tooth mic that I ran up the windshield to the Visor. All four blazers I've owned the first thing I did was replace that factory unit.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wheela
^^ Agree'd completely, I've got a $40 Walmart deck that doesn't even have a CD or Tape slot, just radio and Bluetooth. I use the USB port with an 8gig thumb drive and have endless music to listen to. It even had a blue tooth mic that I ran up the windshield to the Visor. All four blazers I've owned the first thing I did was replace that factory unit.
So as you can see there are endless possibilities. Do it your way and if you don't do anything else, PLAY IT LOUD!!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all of the input.

I will have to think on it some more.
In the meantime, except for the CD player, everything else works just fine on the radio.
Well except for maybe a few burned out bulbs.

Is there a video that shows how to take this unit apart to replace the bulbs?
Oh, and what bulbs to use?

Radar

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all of the input.

I will have to think on it some more.
In the meantime, except for the CD player, everything else works just fine on the radio.
Well except for maybe a few burned out bulbs.

Is there a video that shows how to take this unit apart to replace the bulbs?
Oh, and what bulbs to use?

Radar
Actually you can get a replacement face plate for it on Ebay.