Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Chine box 2002 trailblazer lt

Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
9702BlazerStyle is on a distinguished road
Default Chine box 2002 trailblazer lt

I tried searching and cant find a answer on this at all. I just got a double din radio to replace my factory. Now from what i have foundben out the chimes/alerts and onstar are all connected through the radio. What i want to know, but cant find a answer to, is do i absolutely need to retain the chime and onstar, or can i just wire it up the way i would any other radio without onstar?

Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Rather a simple test, try driving it without that stock radio hooked up? I can say this, my wife had a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx and from what I learned owning that car is was one of the first to have the GM lan (computer networking) system along with the Pontiac G6. That car had to have the stock radio or an aftermarket adaptor for some of the data otherwise some functions would not work like the turn signal sounds, oil life indicator, fuel mileage and other data.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

That's what I've read with my 06 Cobalt. Going to an aftermarket radio either needs some $60 adapter, or you lose the door chimes, turn signal clicks, weird stuff like that
​​​​​​

Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Beginning Member

I'm not even worried about door chimes or turn signal clicks. Honestly you can't hear the signal with the radio on anyway lol my doors don't chime as it is either. I do get a buzzer when i leave my lights on but with the auto lights i have no use for that buzzer. So if that's all im losing and can still hook up the aftermarket with no hitch, I'm set.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Being a 2002 I think your ok without it. Still I’d just drive it a bit with the factory radio unplugged and if you notice no issue run with it. Later years like that 2004 Malibu wife had was more integrated with car which was good and bad. That one had what seemed like transmission issues later on and shops kept replacing costly computer modules and found later myself problem was a wire harness from shifter giving bad data making shops think was a bad computer. (Worse part 2 years after I paid for the fix GM issued a bulletin to repair it, never did get reimbursed for it) Point is as the systems get more integrated need to be more cautious on aftermarket changes.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Being a 2002 I think your ok without it. Still I’d just drive it a bit with the factory radio unplugged and if you notice no issue run with it. Later years like that 2004 Malibu wife had was more integrated with car which was good and bad. That one had what seemed like transmission issues later on and shops kept replacing costly computer modules and found later myself problem was a wire harness from shifter giving bad data making shops think was a bad computer. (Worse part 2 years after I paid for the fix GM issued a bulletin to repair it, never did get reimbursed for it) Point is as the systems get more integrated need to be more cautious on aftermarket changes.
That's what's nice about mid 90s stuff, like a lot of our trucks. New enough that they had the fuel injection figured out pretty good, but old enough that the systems are simple and can be worked on by the home mechanic, with mostly basic tools.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
My wife had a 08 optima that was like that and she had a 09 cobalt that everything ran through the radio. It wouldn't shift right or anything until the dealership replaced it.
Originally Posted by cleburne red
That's what's nice about mid 90s stuff, like a lot of our trucks. New enough that they had the fuel injection figured out pretty good, but old enough that the systems are simple and can be worked on by the home mechanic, with mostly basic tools.
yeah thats what makes me miss my 97 blazer. But the way I see it is that everything is a learning process and unless you try you'll never learn. That's how it worked in the old days, you pull it apart, you put it together, you either fixed it or added a new problem.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:01 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer11 is on a distinguished road

Cant you just disconnect the onstar module? I removed it on checy full size and added a blue star bluetooth for a friend

Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

OnStar in the S-Series is obsolete now. You would need a newer setup to actually receive OnStar communication. Gut the OnStar for more space in the cargo hold!

I know on my 03 Monte Carlo, I needed a special connector to retain chimes and what not. My 98 Blazer...not so much. Not sure about the RDS radio that came with later S-10s...