Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

custom fit sub box for a 2000 blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough
Default custom fit sub box for a 2000 blazer?

I have a system in my car and a ported 10" box. its a fairly large box and it takes up a lot of trunk space. I know JL audio has a stealthbox but that thing is almost $600. I was wondering if any of you guys would know of another company that makes boxes for my blazer or if any of you guys have built your own boxes with a custom fit. I would like the woofer to go on the opposite side where the jack is located which is where a JL audio stealthbox would go. Maybe post some pics or let me know what kind of ideas you guys have come up with.

thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I don't think there are any other companies that make a form fitting box. The best one I've seen was a custom box mounted in the spare tire (many 2DR blazer have the spare inside). Also, a member on this forum (unlimitedsp) has a very nice custom box

Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

yea if you want custom prefabed JL is about ur only choice

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
BF Veteran

I almost had one for $150 but I wasn't home when the bidding ended and I lost for a dollar bid higher than mine..

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
svd85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out my pics of my blazer in my garage ... I have a custom box setup and i think it is exactly what you are looking for (I have more pics if you want). I built it myself so if you have any ques let me know and i can take you through the process. I looked for premade ones before in the past but never found any.

Last edited by svd85; 09-17-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added Picture link
Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran

that looks really nice. is that fiberglass? That looks like something I would defiantly consider doing. I only have 1 woofer but I'd consider getting another one and put one on each side above the wheel well. that would be awesome if you could go through the steps with me

Old 09-18-2009, 02:16 PM
svd85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
that looks really nice. is that fiberglass? That looks like something I would defiantly consider doing. I only have 1 woofer but I'd consider getting another one and put one on each side above the wheel well. that would be awesome if you could go through the steps with me
Thanks, Yes that is fiberglass. I did it myself with the help of a friend. Took about a weekend to do but it was mainly just time to let the fiberglass dry. Your setup can also be smaller depending on your sub and how you want to fit it and angle it.

I found two links with pictures that when combining the links, pretty much did the same as what I did (except for some minor things that i will explain) First link is a good way to start, second is a good way to finish and shows you how to wrap the box with fleece like i did and complete it:

http://chimchim.net/rav4/how/fiber.htm
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID~74519~PN~1

To start I took out the plastic panels in the truck on the sides above the wheel well. I also took the mounting bracket out for the car jack because you want to have somewhat of a clean, smooth surface for when you apply the fiberglass. (This took a little work because the metal mounting brackets were tacked in on my truck so i used a power hammer and crowbar to pry them out.

When applying the fiberglass, what i did was took 3inch blue carpenters tape and started to tape the sides of the truck where you want to create the boxes kinda like the first link (I didn't use the plastic or foil like the second link). Make sure the tape overlaps and everything is covered or else the fiberglass will stick to the sides of the truck or the carpet because you will be fiber glassing onto the tape. Then start to apply the fiber glass in thin layers and sheets ontop of the blue tape like the first link, letting the layer dry and then reapplying to build the layer up. When it was pretty thick, i took the box out and tried to peal off the blue tape and sanded down the whole back of the box to get it smooth, then i went into what the second link does and used dowels, made the frame for my subs out of wood (this is where the mounting screw will be drilled into when mounting the boxes) and wrapping the box in fleese and then fiberglass.

Hope this helps, I know it wasn't too detailed because i tried to write it up quickly but i think you should have a good start. If you need anything else or more details, feel free to ask.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

bumping this for en epic thread.

Should be stickied.

I am going to do this in my jimmy. can't stand just having a random box thrown back there.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran

I'm currently in the process of learning to fiberglass so I may be building something pretty cool here soon, unfortunately it won't be in my blazer...

Old 05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I'm currently in the process of learning to fiberglass so I may be building something pretty cool here soon, unfortunately it won't be in my blazer...
Well if you can go through the steps for a guy who has never done it before, that would be great.

I can't stand having a box just thrown back in the cargo area.

did you ever get one in your blazer?

Quick Reply: custom fit sub box for a 2000 blazer?