Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Dash Speaker grills removal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/dash-speaker-grills-removal-83907/)

er0ck273 01-16-2014 03:09 PM

Dash Speaker grills removal

what would you suggest in taking the two screws out. I have a 1'' screwdriver but as soon as you start lifting it out, the screwdriver becomes too tall and hits the windshield.

any suggestions. doesnt have to be formal haha

richphotos 01-16-2014 03:15 PM

do you have one of those screw driver sets that has the interchangeable tips? if so, get it loosen with the 1" screw driver, then hold one of the tips in your fingers to get it out the rest of the way.

er0ck273 01-16-2014 03:32 PM

i tried that method..that damn screw was so tight in there until i could literally pull it out. i just saw on harbor freight they have a right angle ratcheting screwdriver. 8 Piece Right Angle Screwdriver

ill have to head out and give it a try..because im down a speaker grill ...my hand slipped and went right thru, and im not able to find a tan one on ebay right now. and last time i went to my junk yard they only had black and gray...figures haha

big_charms@hotmail.com 01-16-2014 04:48 PM

If you have Just a bit you should be able to get a 1/4 inch socket on it and use that for more grip. I literally just did this.

LeWhite 01-16-2014 06:24 PM

I first got a 90deg driver which was a pain in the but. Quarter inch ratchet worked better. Be aware that the gril doesn't pull straight up as it has some hook tabs so dont yank up and break them off there are none at the pick your part.

er0ck273 01-16-2014 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by LeWhite (Post 615227)
I first got a 90deg driver which was a pain in the but. Quarter inch ratchet worked better. Be aware that the gril doesn't pull straight up as it has some hook tabs so dont yank up and break them off there are none at the pick your part.

yea im pretty sure the last owner broke those tabs because ive never seen them and the grills werent screwed down properly haha

er0ck273 01-19-2014 10:01 PM

i just tried using that piece from harbor freight...it works amazing...took 20 seconds to get off. and it was only 3.79 and thats not with coupon lol

Dark Rider 01-20-2014 07:31 AM

amazing how much the right tool gets the job done huh? I recently helped my buddy rebuild part of his old 92 f150.. he kept trying to make the wrong tools work, I went out and bought the right tools = job done easier and faster.

be careful with the speaker grills. if they're anything like mine or two other people I know they will crack/break.

er0ck273 01-20-2014 01:53 PM

yea im currently out a speaker grill my hand slipped when i was trying to use the 1'' screw driver and smashed right through it. its bad when ebay doesnt have it. beige must have been a rare color cause i can never find anything in beige over gray or black

Badco 01-20-2014 10:27 PM

When I did mine I just took a star bit head, a socket, and a useless spare key and used that to ratchet the grille screws out. What I didn't realize is they were busted up anyways, so when I did my 4x6 swap I just eased the latched back on and said to heck with the screws. I'll probably velcro it one of these days.

Try looking for a Bravada set... I think quite a good number of the Olds' were beige interior.