Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Dead immobiliser (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/dead-immobiliser-96280/)

CrazyDave 02-09-2018 04:51 PM

Dead immobiliser

Hi folks.

I've looked at the old forum posts about the immobiliser issues others have had and it appears to be a rotten can of worms. The most recent posts are ancient and not much use to me :(

Basically my immobiliser is dead. The keyfob doesn't disarm it, the manual codes don't disarm it etc.

I've tried main dealers, they won't touch it. I've called Chevrolet UK, they were useless. I've tried US vehicle experts and electronics experts within a 60mi radius and nobody can help.

Has anybody got any tips or contacts in East Anglia that might be able to disable all immobilisers on my 2001 LT? It has a low mileage and would be such a shame to scrap it over such a silly failure.

Thanks.

oldeerslayer 02-09-2018 10:14 PM

What the heck is an immobiliser? Something they add on to cars imported from the USA to UK?

chevyriders 02-10-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by oldeerslayer (Post 686511)
What the heck is an immobiliser? Something they add on to cars imported from the USA to UK?

Yep, It's just a secondary security system that was (for some reason) added to UK spec blazers, as well as the passlock system.

CrazyDave, search around some there's a bunch of threads on here with similar issues, I'm sure at least one has a solution in it

DaveHearne 02-12-2018 10:25 PM

Are you sure you are entering the 5 digit override code correctly. And are you sure you have the correct code? It is supplied on a little red card with the truck from new. The procedure needs to be precise but it will work if you are using the right code. If needed the code can be extracted from the Blazers using a GM Tech 2 scanner running GM TIS software which Vauxhall dealers use. Some of them will tell you that their software won't work on Blazers but it will if they search for the correct vehicle. I have attached the page from the UK owners manual to help you. If this works, and you also have UK fobs you can also program them at the same time. Let me know if this actually allows you to start the vehicle &, if it does I will send further info on how to program up to 4 fobs.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...cb88433b48.jpg

DaveHearne 02-13-2018 12:45 AM

Something else that has just come to mind.
UK BLazers were fitted with a secondary immobilizer upon arrival in the UK. I understand that these were quite problematic. My secondary immobilizer was removed before I bought the truck so I have very little knowledge of these. Mine was just left with the GM factory sytem which is usually very robust. Only the european models required the 5 digit code in the event of fobs not working - the US models didn't have this.
Although a few miles from you these guys can definitely help.

Parts USA - Authorised Parts, Service & Repair for your American Vehicle

By the way if you do manage to get your truck started using the override procedure described in my previous post you can program up to 4 further fobs immediately after stage 6 in the procedure by holding the lock & unlock buttons down together until the locks cycle. Each additional fob needs to be done within 2 minutes of completing stage 6 and BEFORE starting the vehicle. These fobs must be the correct ones for the UK Blazers - the US ones will not work as they operate on a different frequency that won't match the UK receivers.

I really hope you get things sorted but if you need any other help please just ask & I will do my best. I think they are great trucks, the engine/transmission etc are bulletproof as long as servicing is carried out regularly. They are however quite hard on supsension components, front wheel bearings being a particular problem area. I replaced 3 sets on my truck. The last ones I fitted were Timken ones & they seemed to last the longest. Oh & one other thing - keep the steering pitman arm well greased, they are different from the left hand drive models & are obsolete so virtually unobtainable. Bunce Motors in New Zealand offer refurbished ones but at a price! Many other right hand drive specific parts are also obsolete but breaking trucks often turn up on Ebay etc so there are usually sources for most parts.

Do please let us know how you get on.

CrazyDave 02-13-2018 02:41 AM

Thanks for your advice folks.

Yeah, I've tried the code a million times. The card has instructions that differ from the manual (card says count the flashes and turn the key, the manual says to press the door lock button) but the code isn't accepted either way. I tried various ways (all the way to position 0 and just to 1 (the instructions are a little vague on the card) and also the card says "if yu have blah blah type" and has a slight variation at the end, which I also tried both ways). My nearest hope with a garage has been a local one with the Tech 2 device, but they said they could only go back as far as 2006, mine is 2001.

Mine is sure to have a secondary immobiliser and, from what I read on old forum posts, each dealer did their own thing. I hoped Chevrolet UK might at least be able to tell me what system mine has, but they were as much use as a chocolate teapot. Their best suggestion was to find the original vendor and ask them, but they can't tell me who that would have been and there is no paperwork with the vehicle to give me a clue. Alternatively they told me to contact a company in Sweden called Klintberg & Way, the phone number didn't work so I emailed them 2 months ago and have heard nothing.

It's such a shame. I bought it because of the low mileage (62,000 when I got it) and hoped to keep it long term, but things aren't looking great. It's in fantastic condition, the only problem I've had so far was perished vacuum hoses that made the 4wd play up, but I renewed them all and it was faultless...until this issue. I miss driving it so much. It served me well for about 6 months, a couple of them with good offroad work once I fitted Kuhmo Road Venture MT71s and, despite the low ground clearance, it coped very well.

Thanks for the contact Dave, I'll give them a try later on. If it comes to it, I might just have to take it the 243 miles to Stockport, if they are sure they can help. I can hire a trailer locally for reasonable money and have a vehicle with a high enough GTW to take it there. More than 4 hours drive though...that would have to be a middle of the night drive though lol.