Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Easiest way to run wires from the battery to the interior(dash area)? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/easiest-way-run-wires-battery-interior-dash-area-83874/)

ChevyBlazer4uHaters 01-14-2014 05:09 PM

Easiest way to run wires from the battery to the interior(dash area)?

Ok, after looking pretty hardcore for a hole or space to run wires from my battery to the dash, I came up with: nothing. Same result was reached when I looked everywhere online.

Last thing I want to do is drill a hole in that area.

Can anyone help? I have the 2003 model, by the way...

Thanks so much!

Badco 01-14-2014 05:26 PM

What I did with my amp wire (4g) is run it from the battery, stright back to the passenger side of the windshield. You should be able to work it in up under the fender, so the hood doesn't crunch anything. There was still some play when I got it into the door jamb. When it came to getting inside, I just cut open the rubber electrical protector, undid the kick panel and ran it back to my amp. Then just putty or calk the laceration in the jambs rubber protector to keep it sealed.

01 Jimmy SLE 01-14-2014 06:00 PM

There's a grommet on the passenger side for the radio antenna. Just pull the dash apart and follow the radio antenna cable to the firewall, it's pretty easy to find.
Another route I took for some aux lights was run it up the driver side of the hood and into the door jamb, don't cross the door seal though. Then take off the panel on the inside that goes over the hood release lever. There's a bit of space to drill a hole there, just fish the wire through then, like Badco said, put some caulk or silicone around the wire. Basically make a grommet. I don't have pictures at the moment but if you need some just ask

ChevyBlazer4uHaters 01-14-2014 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Badco (Post 614950)
What I did with my amp wire (4g) is run it from the battery, stright back to the passenger side of the windshield. You should be able to work it in up under the fender, so the hood doesn't crunch anything. There was still some play when I got it into the door jamb. When it came to getting inside, I just cut open the rubber electrical protector, undid the kick panel and ran it back to my amp. Then just putty or calk the laceration in the jambs rubber protector to keep it sealed.

I am currently doing something similar with my amp wire. Even though it is hidden and out of view, I am not comfortable running wires that way - the possibility of damaging them by either the door or hood closing just seems way too high. Just my opinion!

ChevyBlazer4uHaters 01-14-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Jimmy SLE (Post 614957)
There's a grommet on the passenger side for the radio antenna. Just pull the dash apart and follow the radio antenna cable to the firewall, it's pretty easy to find.

I will def. look into this tomorrow. How big is this space, would you say? I'm just wondering what all I could fish through there.

Thanks for the reply.

rexmburns 01-14-2014 06:21 PM

Why don't you want I drill a hole? Just drill where and why size you need and be sure to put a rubber grommet in there to protect the wires.

01 Jimmy SLE 01-15-2014 08:21 AM

The space is pretty big, but the hole in the grommet is only the size of the antenna cable. All you have to do it cut the hole bigger

altoncustomtech 01-15-2014 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by rexmburns (Post 614963)
Why don't you want I drill a hole? Just drill where and why size you need and be sure to put a rubber grommet in there to protect the wires.

^^^THIS

Do it right the first time. If you're running the wire back to the rear of the vehicle for your amp you might look at running it under the truck to the rear mounting point for the passenger seat. You can drill the hole there on the angled part and then the wire will hide easily under the carpet back to wherever your amp will be located. Either way you go you should do it right, don't cut the factory grommets and don't run it up around the fender/hood/door area. Sure, people do it all the time and may not have any issues while they own the vehicle but that doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.

Here's a picture of the wires coming through under the place where the passenger seat mounts. That's a 4 AWG and a 1/0 AWG side by side.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/a...3.jpg~original

ChevyBlazer4uHaters 01-15-2014 09:04 AM

I was just hoping it wouldnt be that hard to find a hole to use, but seems like thats the case.

alton,

Thanks for the pic! I will probably do the same thing or something very similar.

gstxtt 02-01-2014 04:26 AM

I ran mine where the parking brake cable comes through I just trimmed the grommet ran it from the 12v point on the fuse box along the frame covered it in that braided plastic sheathing in the wheel well and zip tied it to the frame and put it through the grommet hole then put rtv in the little gaps to keep water out