Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   feel like redoing. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/feel-like-redoing-84115/)

Steve-o 01-27-2014 08:50 AM

feel like redoing.

recently I did a system in my grand prix, as some of you know. (don't think I ever posted a pic of it though) anyways im wanting to redo it. I want it smaller to where the box isn't a hasle to get in. took me 2 hours to get the box in because of the way the trunk is, and I don't really want to cut into the car from the inside to slide it in, nevertheless its in after 2 hours of beating. but im ready for it to go. id like something that plays as well as it does now but in a smaller package/box, (1 beefer 12) 10s, 8,s.. opinions and experinces please. and like I said I had to beat this box in and its 33x20x12 3cubes tuned to 33hz it dosent get low low because im on stock electrical so <..> .... and whats in it ATM is 2 SQ HDS212 DVC4ohm on a SQ Q1200 amp at 1ohm. heck maybe even buy 1 beefer 12, keep the box I have, and plug one of the holes???

Steve-o 01-27-2014 01:26 PM

I also don't think my 12s are performing as well as they should because I think they need more airspace. they really should be getting atleast 1.75-2 cubes a piece but they are getting 1.5 really. so would adding a baffle cut for 10s maybe sound better?

Steve-o 01-28-2014 10:20 AM

so after a night of research and blah.. what do yall think of 1 IA LI12 in my current box with 1 hole plugged and I got my dimin wrong from above.. its 33 wide 22 deep 16.5 tall 3cubes 33hz

altoncustomtech 01-28-2014 11:36 PM

Did you ever verify you don't have any leaks in the enclosure?

Also have you tried to verify exactly what the enclosure is tuned to? Subpar electrical won't cause poor response. Get some test tones ranging from at least 50hz down to 25hz or so. Turn on the 50hz tone and turn it up enough to get the sub moving noticeably. Then step through each track going down in frequency watching the sub closely. If everything is copesetic the lower you go the more the sub will move. Then if your tuning is accurate when you start to get close to 32hz for example the sub will move less and less again but be getting louder and louder. When you get to the tuning frequency of the enclosure the sub will sound its loudest but be moving the least amount. Below tuning it will begin to move an incredible amount because the sub is unloading in the enclosure. Unless you wang to spend the time plotting the impedance this is the best way to be certain the enclosures tuning is correct.

Not doing well on reproducing low notes is almost always an incorrectly tuned enclosure. It can also be due to using the wrong enclosure alignment for the given driver. That's caused by an enclosure that is too small or too large or less commonly one that is tuned too low or too high for the chosen driver and alignment.

Ported enclosures are my favorite type but the design AND the construction has to be pretty well spot on to deliver the intended results.

If you want to try a single 12 why not build a great enclosure for one of the ones you have and make sure you don't need to spend all that cash on another sub? With the right enclosure you could step right into the IA LI if the HDS doesn't give you enough output.

Steve-o 01-29-2014 08:19 AM

I talked to soundqubed and they said the enclosure is to small for those 2 HDS 12s, they told me 1 of them with one hole plugged should do a lot better. but if I get the IA then the HDS212s will just be put in my blazer when I get a amp to push them, so they wont go to waste. I mean your the one that designed the box in my blazer... when putting the dimensions of my box in my gp into the RE box calculator it shows the tuning to be about 33.7 so reality 34hz

altoncustomtech 01-29-2014 08:55 AM

Don't trust that calculator, it's one of the worst on the web. It would only take about 5 minutes to determine the real tuning frequency with the tones.

I do agree with Soundqubed the subs are needing more space. One with the hole plugged might very well do much better but be careful, watch and listen for stress in the driver as it could also be driven beyond it's limits much easier as well. The alignment could end up just a little boomy too, hard to say without modeling it but the good thing about it is that it should be a very efficient enclosure, lol.

Also the enclosure I designed was with the intention of trying to wedge them into the trunk of that car per the dimensions you gave and 1.75cuft per sub. If you're going to put them in the blazer a little rework on the design can and needs to be done as they should really have more like a full 2cuft or a little more per sub.

Steve-o 01-29-2014 09:43 AM

yea they will be going in the blazer eventually, but the box I think was 5.5 cubes so yea. and after having to force the box in the GP that was 33 wide, your design that was 34 wide wouldn't have fit in it without building it in the car, and that would have killed my back lol. eventually when I have a better income, ill go to a shop and let them install a custom box meant for what I plan to keep in it and have it nice and carpeted and everything. im just trying to get as loud but efficient with what box I have now.

Steve-o 01-30-2014 06:42 AM

incriminator lethal injection 12 or sundown x12 or FI SSD12