Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

The Great Speaker Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: The Great Speaker Debate

ORIGINAL: oakleyg

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Too easy. JL is the best, everyone knows that.
if you mean JL is the best at ripping you off and over charging out the *** then yes...they are the best haha
How is JL overcharging, cost on their products is cheap and there is plenty of other brands that cost more but no one whines about them.
what is your def. of cheap? last time I checked paying $800 for a set of components that dont sound that great is pretty expensive

Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

ofcourse there is markup on ALL audio products. I dont have any proof of this, but I imagine the percentage of JL's markup is very comparable to other companies. The difference is that JL uses more expensive higher quality internal parts where as the cheaper products with similar ratings use much cheaper internal parts that are much less quality. This is the reason for the ampguts.com site.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM
flyinquack is an unknown quantity at this point

there is markup. i used to work at best buy and the car audio section had the best discount - ALWAYS! i was able to get amps and subs at at least 50% of the price. besides the fact that their brands arent my favorite, i just bought what i could because it was cheap. started working at circuit city (who are they?!) after i quit bbuy and their discount was only really through the manufacturer..for way better. so dont get suckered into buying a speaker because it costs so much. they do it because they can and stupid people will buy it. i like the polk speakers if youre not going to have subs because they sound more bassy in nature; however there are many other brands out there. and im sure they cost less because theyre not mainstream like jagblazer said.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really interested in those PG's in the other thread now......for the price how could you go wrong? I mean if theres that much attention around them it'll be worth the $100(depending from where). ...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
oakleyg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: oakleyg

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Too easy. JL is the best, everyone knows that.
if you mean JL is the best at ripping you off and over charging out the *** then yes...they are the best haha
How is JL overcharging, cost on their products is cheap and there is plenty of other brands that cost more but no one whines about them.
what is your def. of cheap? last time I checked paying $800 for a set of components that dont sound that great is pretty expensive
Im sure if the components weren't installed properly or powered with a decent amp then they would sound ****ty no matter how good they are.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

There is not "BEST" as far as brands go. Most companies have that one line that overpowers the other companies. I'm a big Rockford Fosgate fan, running 2 10" punch p2's in a sealed box and they still hit harder than s***! Some of those other companies get a little out of hand (who want's to pay $300-400 a sub!?!). All IMO...

Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

I would gladly pay $400 a sub (and have) if I ever had the money again. Scanspeak subwoofer (paper cone) are some of the best sounding subs I have ever heard (from an IASCA judges point of view). For someone who is after the most absolute SQ, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

even considering mark-up.....you still get what you pay for in most cases....depends how scabby the company is.....your 2 P2's are $89.99 each on www.onlinecarstereo.com.

.....if I had an extra $800 i can't say i wouldnt pick one of these guys up......http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/z...280f643a991f65

the punch series is an entry level line.....and alot of people have had problems cracking the cones....

Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

i have spent $400+ dollars on many woofers I have owned....one I play close to 1k for it

Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Brian_L is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive owned just about every brand of any speaker out there I think....heh. As far as components go Im pretty partial to Alpine now. The clarity is amazing. And now Kickers grown on me for subs.

Quick Reply: The Great Speaker Debate