Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   I know nothing about car stereos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/i-know-nothing-about-car-stereos-85153/)

mirandam82 03-30-2014 01:12 PM

I know nothing about car stereos

I have a problem with my stereo and I know nothing about fixing it.

Here's the deal, I have a Pioneer stereo, not factory but was already installed when I bought my Blazer. It worked great for a while and over a few months it would lose power when I took the faceplate off and put it back on. I would remove the faceplate and put it on with slightly more force and it would work again.

One day it just stopped coming back on, I get no power to the stereo whatsoever. I have checked all my fuses (not that I ever thought that was the problem) and I literally have no clue what is up, any ideas?

rexazz2 03-30-2014 04:15 PM

remove the unit and check the spices behind the head unit
for some reason guys do really crappy wire slices on stereos

altoncustomtech 03-30-2014 04:36 PM

That's definitely one good place to start. Another thing to try is getting an eraser and cleaning the contacts on the face itself and the front of the unit.

It's also possible the HU is just very old and starting to fail. Electronics can be funny like that. I've seen some things last years beyond their useful life and others barely last beyond the warranty period.

mirandam82 03-31-2014 12:02 PM

What are the spices? I'm really dumb with car stereos, my brother is a genius with them but unfortunately he lives 1000 miles away.
I know to take it out I have to pull my dash apart... Lol I'm kind of screwed with that.
When you say eraser, do you mean just any pencil eraser?

altoncustomtech 03-31-2014 03:17 PM

Yep. Just a pencil eraser, or one of them big pink ones. Doesn't matter just as long as it's an eraser. Just rub it on the gold colored metal contacts on the faceplate and the stereo itself. Take your time too, you can't overdo it. This is a good fix for contacts on anything like cell phone batteries, cards and memory sticks out of computers and anything else that has contacts that can get dirty.

kavemanleee 03-31-2014 03:53 PM

Not spices. He meant to say splices - where your stereo wires are coupled with your vehicle wires ( 2 or 4 speaker wires + power and accessory wires). Ensure the black ground wire is connected to a solid steel location as well. Test your spices visually and by pulling on them with average force. If cleaning your contacts and splices are good, and you have checked the fuses with a multimeter, it might be time for an advanced AM-FM CD player?

rexazz2 03-31-2014 04:11 PM

splices LMAO
for some reason this site doesn't always accept my typing

BTW if you look up your stereo online you should be able to find the install manual , it will show you how to remove it
if it has a detachable face plate , it should come out pretty easy IMO

mirandam82 03-31-2014 05:13 PM

Thank you all for the help, I tried the eraser trick but it didn't work, now I just have to figure out how to take my dash apart. Lol

hoebob69 03-31-2014 05:58 PM

It could also be your harness clip working itself loose

mirandam82 04-01-2014 10:15 AM

What does that mean? How can I check?