Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   installing component speakers (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/installing-component-speakers-2632/)

jagblazer01 02-28-2006 09:17 PM

installing component speakers

getting ready to install my 6.5" jl xr and vr components on my blazer. how do i get the old speaker grills off and where would you say is the best place to install the tweeters? i have 4 door so i need tweeter placement on front and back doors

audiophyl 02-28-2006 10:28 PM

RE: installing component speakers

I would recommend installing the tweeters in the A-Pillar firing along the curve of the windshield. If fabrication is not your cup of tea, you can go the the dealer and buy the tweeter mounts that go into the 4x6 locatoin in the dash. These are the plates that are OEM in the 2-door blazers.

As far as the rear components, if you can install them as a coax, that's pretty much the best. Rear components are a waste of money in my opinion, as I set up cars to recreate a concert. Every concert that I go to have the band in front of me, hence my vehicles have the music appearing to come from the hood.

Hope this helps!!!

jagblazer01 02-28-2006 10:58 PM

i bought components for the back doors but i can make them coaxial. i just have to buy the adapter plate for it. thanks for the input

FatRyan 03-01-2006 07:07 PM

i say install the tweets in the a pillars facing directly at you, but only if you have the capability to back them off a couple dB. your supposed to keep the tweets as close to the mids as possible, but if theyre at the bottom of the doors, sometimes it wouldnt be loud enough. this is the best way to setup your comps to sound natural.

HCCAFan 03-01-2006 09:07 PM

What's wrong with using the factory tweeter mount plates? Seems to keep it up in front of you allright.

FatRyan 03-02-2006 01:11 AM

well it all comes down to how it reaches your ears. and a direct path will sound most natural (for highs). i personally woldnt care if they were in the dash. im not too picky with that kind of stuff. but what i was saying above is that to technically achieve the most accurate and natural highs, place the tweets as close to the mids as possible but make sure they face directly at you

audiophyl 03-02-2006 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: FatRyan

well it all comes down to how it reaches your ears. and a direct path will sound most natural (for highs). i personally woldnt care if they were in the dash. im not too picky with that kind of stuff. but what i was saying above is that to technically achieve the most accurate and natural highs, place the tweets as close to the mids as possible but make sure they face directly at you
There are many more things to consider than just the path of the sound. If the tweets are mounted to directly face you, you may not get good imaging and staging. Firing them along the window line will aid in allowing the car to image and stage better. Plus, you are able to play off the reflective properties of the vehicle to maximize your sound quality. Best thing is to test the different locations and see what acoustically sounds the best.

Additionally, the rule about keeping the tweets as close to the mid as possible is an old tale. That actually doesn't apply in building a car system. I used the stock locations for my mids and my tweeters in my '99 Eagle Talon and had the 3rd highest sound quality at the 2000 IASCA Finals.

Just thought I'd add my $.02 worth.

(edited cause I can't spell)

FatRyan 03-02-2006 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: audiophyl

ORIGINAL: FatRyan

There are many more things to consider than just the path of the sound. If the tweets are mounted to directly face you, you may not get good imaging and staging. Firing them along the window line will aid in allowing the car to image and stage better. Plus, you are able to play off the reflective properties of the vehicle to maximize your sound quality. Best thing is to test the different locations and see what acoustically sounds the best.

Additionally, the rule about keeping the tweets as close to the mid as possible is an old tale. That actually doesn't apply in building a car system. I used the stock locations for my mids and my tweeters in my '99 Eagle Talon and had the 3rd highest sound quality at the 2000 IASCA Finals.

Just thought I'd add my $.02 worth.

(edited cause I can't spell)

um actually i have to disagree with you. the rule of thumb is that they should face you, for imaging staging natural sound accuracy. it may not necessarily apply in every situation but there no saying facing them toward the windshield is the way to do it. since you have competed and won, you should know out of everyone that there is no correct way to do anything when it comes to sq or spl. every vehicle and application is completely different. but there are still rules of thumb you can follow. this being one of them, and the "tweet being close to the mid" being the other. have you ever literally taken a component speaker and moved the tweet around diferent distances from the mid? it always sounds most natural when in the coaxial position.

HCCAFan 03-02-2006 11:03 AM

It's hard to say which theory is correct but I have a different take on both sides of the argument. I would say the A pillar is a bad idea b/c higher frequencies travel faster than the lower ones and therefore a tweeter aimed directly at your head, that close, would hit you with it's sound way before the mids in the doors or the sub(s) in the back. Now yes it is milliseconds or whatever and no most of us couldn't hear it but...its like heardoom...you know it's there. The dash idea requires no modification if he already has the plates for it and that alone is enough reason to do it that way. At least it was for me.

audiophyl 03-02-2006 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

It's hard to say which theory is correct but I have a different take on both sides of the argument. I would say the A pillar is a bad idea b/c higher frequencies travel faster than the lower ones and therefore a tweeter aimed directly at your head, that close, would hit you with it's sound way before the mids in the doors or the sub(s) in the back. Now yes it is milliseconds or whatever and no most of us couldn't hear it but...its like heardoom...you know it's there. The dash idea requires no modification if he already has the plates for it and that alone is enough reason to do it that way. At least it was for me.
As you stated, since the higher frequencies travel faster than lower ones that is why it's recommended to fire the tweeters along the windshield. By the way, which direction do the factory plates fire the tweeter. They fire the tweeter along the plane of the windshield. This is one of the first times that OEM, especially Chevy, has gotten something right

Additionally, I would recommend going to a sound off and listening to some of the cars. I can give you a list of vehicles to listen to if you want.

Have fun!