Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Locating the VSS sensor

Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Locating the VSS sensor

ok so heres my question,
I am getting ready to wire up my over head consol and i have a question about a wire tap i need to do. I need to tap into the VSS sensor for the temp readoutand im wondering where i can access the wire on my 2003 and where my CPU is actually located. In the instructions i am going off of it states the connector is labled black on the connector and splice into pin 3. but im lost after that. any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

Also here is the link to the thread im following.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f200/o...nstall-214399/

Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Locating the VSS sensor

PCM is located on the passenger side inner fender. Once you find that, it should be much more clear.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Starting Member

Ok so i beleve i found the PCM is this the connection?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The PCM is what your screw driver is resting on top of.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Starting Member

ok, i know this sounds stupid but is the VSS in the bunch of wires connected to the PCM?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

No. The VSS is in the back of the transfer case... But you are looking for a wire to hook into. Let me see what I can find for a PCM pinout.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Starting Member

ok thaks....

Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Here is what I could find...

Connector 1 (BLUE):

Connector 2 (GREEN):

Then specifically about the VSS input and output to the cluster:

The wire I think you would want would be the high input from the VSS sensor which is the purple w/ white tracer wire located at pin 21 of connector 2.

As there is obviously speed output to the cluster, I would think it would be easier to get the signal from inside the cab, but that how-to you linked to seemed like it wanted the data straight from the VSS sensor itself.