Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   OEM Speaker Sizes (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/oem-speaker-sizes-24051/)

jagblazer01 10-14-2008 05:03 PM

OEM Speaker Sizes

All 82 to 04 S-10s and Blazers take 4x6s in the dash
All 82 to 04 S-10s take either 4x6s or 4x10s in the rear. Just look at it, if its a huge oval, its a 4x10, if its oval but closer to a circle , its a 4x6.
All 83-94 2 door Blazers use 6x9s in the rear
All 83-94 4 door blazers use 6 3/4s in the rear
All 94-04 S-10s and 95-04 Blazers use 6 3/4s in the front doors
All 95-04 Blazer 2 doors use 6x9s in the rear
All 95-04 4 door Blazers use 5 1/4s in the rear there are a few variances of this. some blazers come with tweeters in the dash. the info above will hold true 90% of the time, but it's always safest to check for yourself.

EuroGoldLS 10-14-2008 05:39 PM

RE: OEM Speaker Sizes

Very VERY helpful. Thanks Jag!

jagblazer01 10-14-2008 05:41 PM

lol thanks...im hoping people will look here now before posting about factory speaker sizes all the time

Duntov 10-22-2008 07:34 AM

That information is helpful. I was preparing to purchase a pair ofgood used 8 ohm AC Delco "truck"door speakers for my 1991 Blazer 4-door SUV. The person who is selling it says it is a 5-1/4" ODwith6" bolt spacing and 2-1/2" depth. However, after reading the sizes given above, I will not purchase it now.

It is virtually impossible to find aftermarket 8 ohm speakers to use withthe original AC Delco receivers and cassette players.All aftermarket automobile speakers I have found are 4 ohm speakers designed for more powerful aftermarket receivers and CD players. The aftermarket 4 ohm speakerswillfryan originalAC Delco reciever and cassette player due to the lower impedence of the speakers.

jagblazer01 10-22-2008 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Duntov

That information is helpful. I was preparing to purchase a pair ofgood used 8 ohm AC Delco "truck"door speakers for my 1991 Blazer 4-door SUV. The person who is selling it says it is a 5-1/4" ODwith6" bolt spacing and 2-1/2" depth. However, after reading the sizes given above, I will not purchase it now.

It is virtually impossible to find aftermarket 8 ohm speakers to use withthe original AC Delco receivers and cassette players.All aftermarket automobile speakers I have found are 4 ohm speakers designed for more powerful aftermarket receivers and CD players. The aftermarket 4 ohm speakerswillfryan originalAC Delco reciever and cassette player due to the lower impedence of the speakers.
but you can always make an adapter plate out of MDF.....it isnt hard

Duntov 10-22-2008 11:16 AM

If a partdoes fit and functionas it was designed, I will not use it. I will eventually find the correct speaker, even if it takesa few months. Since I have restore a few classic cars, I have learn how to be patient.

It may be easy but "ADAPTER" and especially "MDF" are two terms that are not in my automobile vocabulary.

I have found the following new in box ACDelcoreardoor speakers that are listed for a1991 S10 Blazer 4-door SUV:
6" diameter
10 ohms
50 watts

6" diameter
4 ohms (right rear) ?
15 watts

What gives with theimpedence values? I thought all1991 AC Delco receiver/cassette players used 8 ohm speakers? Doesthe location of the speakers determine wheather the speaker must be 4 ohm or 8 ohm impedence due to way they are wired? That is, in series or parallel? I do not want to burn out my original and rare ACDelco radio by using a 4 ohm speaker instead of a 8 ohm speaker.The 1991 radios have voice coils that were designed for 8 ohm speakers.I understand the design of the voice coil determines which resistance value the speaker should be. Enlighten me.

I alsonoticed on the circular speakers that the so called6"speakers have 5-1/4" bolt spacing. That appears to be correct because the speaker diameter is larger than the bolt spacing.

As you can tell, radios and wiring is not my forte. The classic cars I have owned did not have radios.

in4lo 11-11-2008 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Duntov

If a partdoes fit and functionas it was designed, I will not use it. I will eventually find the correct speaker, even if it takesa few months. Since I have restore a few classic cars, I have learn how to be patient.

It may be easy but "ADAPTER" and especially "MDF" are two terms that are not in my automobile vocabulary.

I have found the following new in box ACDelcoreardoor speakers that are listed for a1991 S10 Blazer 4-door SUV:
6" diameter
10 ohms
50 watts

6" diameter
4 ohms (right rear) ?
15 watts

What gives with theimpedence values? I thought all1991 AC Delco receiver/cassette players used 8 ohm speakers? Doesthe location of the speakers determine wheather the speaker must be 4 ohm or 8 ohm impedence due to way they are wired? That is, in series or parallel? I do not want to burn out my original and rare ACDelco radio by using a 4 ohm speaker instead of a 8 ohm speaker.The 1991 radios have voice coils that were designed for 8 ohm speakers.I understand the design of the voice coil determines which resistance value the speaker should be. Enlighten me.

I alsonoticed on the circular speakers that the so called6"speakers have 5-1/4" bolt spacing. That appears to be correct because the speaker diameter is larger than the bolt spacing.

As you can tell, radios and wiring is not my forte. The classic cars I have owned did not have radios.

The speakers in my '00 were 9.5 ohm. I've been using 4 ohm Sony 4 ways since about 2 days after I got the truck on the factory head unit and I haven't had any problems except a lack of extreme volume without distortion with the weak factory unit. Hope this helps ya.

I'm also probably quite a bit late.

Duntov 11-11-2008 04:51 PM

Thanks...The 1991 S-series Chevrolets have AM/FM/Cassette receivers that will not tolerate 4 ohm speakers without buring out. The later modle AC Delcoreceivers have thepower output that willtolerate 4 ohm speakers.

I recently purchased two Pioneer 4 ohm 4 x 6 speakers for the dash of my 91 S10 Blazer but I will not install them. They fit perfectly but they will ruin myOEM AC Delco AM/FM receiver if the volume is turn up a little. I recently found and purchased two OEM 8 ohm 4 x 6 speakers for my S10 Blazer. I switched the original dash speakers from left to right and that improved the sound volume and qualityof the bad speaker.That indicated to me that the old connetions were loose or not making good contact. I suppose cleaning the OEM speaker connections every ten years wouldhelp. I could put a high output amp under the seat connected to my OEM AC Delco receiver and use the Pioneer 4 ohm 4 x 6 dash speakers, but thatwill never happen.

The vast majority of after market speakers are4 ohm because everyone replaces the old OEM ACDelco AM/FM/Cassette receivers that use 8 ohm speakers with modern high amp, space age aftermarket receivers.

vin791 11-11-2008 06:20 PM

just wire in resistors b/t the radio and the 4 ohm speakers?

in4lo 11-11-2008 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: vin791

just wire in resistors b/t the radio and the 4 ohm speakers?
This is a good idea... a 4 ohm 100 watt resistor should do the trick. I say 100 watt because better safe than sorry. You don't want resistor guts splattered all over behind your dash.[sm=smiley14.gif]