Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

post pics of that system setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM
1sexyblzr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
If you don't have the tools and experience for building enclosures I would recommend finding someone who does or ordering a custom built enclosure from Argent Audio, Fisher Customs, Pound That Sound, Audibel Customs, Handcrafted Car Audio, or one of many other's who can build an enclosure to spec for you. The reason I recommend that is because a ported enclosure for a sub that size with that kind of power handling ability needs to be built very strong and sturdy, plus it needs to be properly designed.

Kicker recommends between 3 and 6 cuft of enclosure volume for the L7 15" sub. That's a decent playground in size to play with. I would personally cut it down the middle at 4.5cuft tuned to ~34hz with about 90sqin of port area. That would yield an efficient low end monster. It should still maintain good response on the upper end of the bass spectrum, yet take your breath away when the music dropped bottom, and easily handle the 1500 watt Crunch amp @ 2 ohms without worry of mechanical failure as long as the SSF (sub sonic filter) was set properly.
thank you for the help i have never built a box and dont know a damn thing about tuning lol i will most likely order a box from one of the above places. or ill have someone build me one either way i hope that l7 hits hard

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM

as you can see i sealed up the port cuz it sounded terrible

Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

thats not a sealed up port, thats a blocked port which isn't the greatest thing for a sub. to seal a port is to screw a piece of wood to it with silicone to make sure you have an air tight seal. why do you think it sounds so bad?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Just a guess, but judging by the size of the enclosure and what I can guestimate from the port size he doesn't like the way it sounds cuz it's tuned high and is peaky as hell.

Most all prefab enclosures for the square Kicker's have that problem. Mtopper's right about the port, but if you don't have the tools that's going to be hard to do with that particular enclosure because the frame of the sub is so close to the edge of the port. I still highly recommend taking his advice though. See if you can get some help on that.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 AM

It hits harder with it blocked I don't like the way the port sounds its sounds terrible with the port open it doesn't hit deep bass very good when its open. When I blocked it it seems to be pushing more air and is more of the sound I'm looking for . I'm going to get a new box when I get back from vacation in 2 weeks. Should I get a good ported box or go with sealed

Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I personally love ported enclosures and a properly built ported enclosure will sound great and get noticeably louder than a sealed enclosure. It's really up to you though as a properly built ported enclosure will be considerably larger than your current box or a sealed. If you have the room to spare, I really think you'll enjoy the benefits of a ported enclosure. If not then a well built sealed enclosure will still do you better than that ported enclosure with the port stuffed with old clothes.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM

Thank you for the help guys

Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I agree if you want your sub to be as loud as it can be ported boxes are the way to go. I like sealed boxes better myself just because I like the sound of the precise hit rather than the big boom ported boxes make and because sealed boxes take up a lot less space, but ported boxes are noticeably louder, as long as you don't use your trunk for hauling a bunch of stuff get a big ol' ported box. I know for my polk sub on their website it tells you what encloser your sub will sound best in. I would check out kicker and see what they recommend.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
gaspricessuckk is on a distinguished road

depends on youre personal preference. and the size of the port, box, specs etc, and the air space in your vehicle obviously a blazer. so a bigger box with a nice tight port would make it hit really loud.

a sealed box would make it hit extremely hard, and if it was a ten, it would hit really low,

my two 10 L7s hit such very low notes on lil jon throw it up, i went from 13.5" w3s that hit hard as **** and not that low, then the l7s hit ten times lower then the jl audio 13.5's

Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM

The way mine is set up right now its hitting harder then my best friends 2 12s in a fiberglass box. Before I got my system set up I thought his hit so hard then I got in his truck the other day and I was like damn curt what's wrong with your system is it turned down haha. He was like no man nothings changed haha

Quick Reply: post pics of that system setup