Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   power cable shenanigans (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/power-cable-shenanigans-87433/)

Brian_D 10-07-2014 11:14 PM

power cable shenanigans

2 Attachment(s)
So im in the middle of pulling all of the old wiring out for a fresh install. amp, subs, new wiring.

My first speed bump is the shop that installed the original stuff did one hell of a job hiding the power cable, there isnt anything visable that i can see where they connected it to the battery and where its going into the dash for my life of me i cant find where it exits into the motor compartment.,..

anyone have any ideas on where i would most likely find the power wire under the hood judging from the picture?

second question would be whats the best method for hooking up the power cable. when i was younger i remember vaguely just going straight to the + terminal with some kind of connector

https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1412741667

altoncustomtech 10-08-2014 07:55 AM

What you remember is still the best way to connect the positive lead for the amp. Just don't forget to fuse the wire as close to the battery as everything under the hood will allow you to mount it.

To me it looks as though the wire is heading straight for the main harness boot. The main wiring harness has a huge rubber boot that keeps the water/weather out of the cabin. It has a fair amount of room around it and a lot of people like to cut a little slit in the boot and pass the wire(s) through that and then put a dab of silicone around it (hopefully).

If they did indeed pass through on that side they might have connected the wire to the main post on the under hood fuse block instead of directly to the battery. Otherwise they would had to have ran the wire from that boot all the way around the engine compartment to the battery.

It's just a guess, but that's where I'm leaning toward what they did. If you take that bottom trim panel off that's hanging there in the picture you should be able to see up under the dash pretty easily at wherever that wire is going.

BTW, if that is how they installed that wire then beware there's probably other corners on the old install that have been cut. It's scary to think that people PAY shops for that kind of crappy work.

Brian_D 10-08-2014 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech (Post 635903)
What you remember is still the best way to connect the positive lead for the amp. Just don't forget to fuse the wire as close to the battery as everything under the hood will allow you to mount it.

To me it looks as though the wire is heading straight for the main harness boot. The main wiring harness has a huge rubber boot that keeps the water/weather out of the cabin. It has a fair amount of room around it and a lot of people like to cut a little slit in the boot and pass the wire(s) through that and then put a dab of silicone around it (hopefully).

If they did indeed pass through on that side they might have connected the wire to the main post on the under hood fuse block instead of directly to the battery. Otherwise they would had to have ran the wire from that boot all the way around the engine compartment to the battery.

It's just a guess, but that's where I'm leaning toward what they did. If you take that bottom trim panel off that's hanging there in the picture you should be able to see up under the dash pretty easily at wherever that wire is going.

BTW, if that is how they installed that wire then beware there's probably other corners on the old install that have been cut. It's scary to think that people PAY shops for that kind of crappy work.

thanks for that reply bro, i noticed they wired the remote wire into what seems to be part of the freaking heater knob under the cd deck. no idea why they did that. i just cut it and wrapped it in electrical tape. ill hook my remote wire up directly to the cd player like intended. perhaps the reason was that when they hooked it up originally it was to the stock cd player which didnt have a harness like aftermarket decks do, not sure.

altoncustomtech 10-08-2014 09:59 PM

It's hard to tell. One thing is for sure don't EVER take anything to that place!!! lol

Brian_D 10-08-2014 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech (Post 635956)
It's hard to tell. One thing is for sure don't EVER take anything to that place!!! lol

yeah, im not sure if its even open anymore that was around 8 years ago in my home town in texas heheh.

Brian_D 10-09-2014 10:27 PM

any idea on how to unhook this e brake handle so i can get the bottom dash piece completely out?

Thogert 10-09-2014 11:04 PM

I thought the e-brake mechanism just was screwed to the back of that panel.

It has been like 3 years since I've seen the inside of a blazer though. :(

blazen_red_4x4 10-11-2014 10:30 AM

The cable comes off the pedal assembly. If I recall correctly, it'll just pop off. I pondered that myself a while back until I decided to look at the other end of the cable instead of the end with the release handle on it lol

Brian_D 10-11-2014 07:06 PM

The old power cable was hooked up to the fuse box under the hood. got all of the new gear installed and it sounds great so far.

thanks for the replies folks.