Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Radio harness questions (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/radio-harness-questions-96646/)

Phinex60 04-07-2018 08:15 PM

Radio harness questions

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...b156ba4481.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...0e3c736be1.jpg
2000 s10 blazer. Didn't have a radio when bought it. Was installing a double din. Saw the wires to the right sticking so I made due with what I knew, a few I guessed at. Got no power. While pulling on the wires another harness fell out. So i got a wired harness on the left and a cluster of unknown wires on the right . I believe they had a amp at one time , but I've never wired a radio with so many wires. I've looked up color identities but one harness by itself doesn't have enough wires, and both together is to many. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

christine_208 04-08-2018 12:38 AM

The harness with the red part could be for a remote cassette or CD player. It looks to be coming from where my remote cassette player harness originated from inside the dash.

If available, I'd be tempted to cut out a stock harness end and undo the butcher job on the cut up harness. Then with the stock harness repaired, I'd get one of those adapter harnesses that plug into the OEM plug.

I'd also use proper crimp connectors or solder with heat-shrink.

christine_208 04-08-2018 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached some scans of pages from my 1999 manual. (Don't mind the file name, the page numbers are messed up)

Phinex60 04-08-2018 07:30 AM

Thank you very much. Didn't even think about the external cassette player. Was a little overwhelmed with how different this setup was from anything I've messed with. Thank you for the scans. On to a replacement harness and multimeter time to see what else the previous owner messed up.

christine_208 04-08-2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Phinex60 (Post 688766)
Thank you very much. Didn't even think about the external cassette player. Was a little overwhelmed with how different this setup was from anything I've messed with. Thank you for the scans. On to a replacement harness and multimeter time to see what else the previous owner messed up.

Oh good. I'm glad my input helps.

A note on the remote cassette harness, if you try to pull on it, it won't come because it is secured to a hard-point deep in the dash. (Don't ask me how I learned that!) If you are deleting the remote cassette player, you can find little cubbies that take their place.

When my stock radio went out, I decided to replace it with another and then use the remote cassette player to use a cassette player to MP3 adapter. People also will sell refurbished OEM radios with MP3 jacks in the front panel. Can you tell I'm way to cheap to even think about installing a properly modern radio? LOL

EDIT: Be sure to post if my schematics helped and if the wire color codes worked for you truck.

Phinex60 04-11-2018 02:16 PM

Sorry took son long to get back. Life go busy lol. The scans where a great help. Ended up having to run a independent power and ground wire. They wouldn't power the radio. Had a lot of dark green and blue. Radio powers on, and tell it gets station signal, but no sound, or static. Also speedo only worked when radio is on. I think I hooked the wire that does the volume to speed to a speaker. Same color. Going to check that soon. Also realized some of these models have amps and without it hooked up or bypassed correctly I'll get no sound. So that's two projects to take soon. At least I know the head unit works. Half way there, and some good laughs. I'll continue to update as I dive in.

christine_208 04-11-2018 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Phinex60 (Post 688929)
Sorry took son long to get back. Life go busy lol. The scans where a great help. Ended up having to run a independent power and ground wire. They wouldn't power the radio. Had a lot of dark green and blue. Radio powers on, and tell it gets station signal, but no sound, or static. Also speedo only worked when radio is on. I think I hooked the wire that does the volume to speed to a speaker. Same color. Going to check that soon. Also realized some of these models have amps and without it hooked up or bypassed correctly I'll get no sound. So that's two projects to take soon. At least I know the head unit works. Half way there, and some good laughs. I'll continue to update as I dive in.

Do you know if your Blazer came with an extra amp? I might be able to find schematics for that set up too.

Phinex60 04-11-2018 09:22 PM

Sorry, unsure. The radio was long gone before I got it, and the previous owner wasn't good at car care, or maintaince. When I bought it in had to replace both upper ball joints bearings pitman arm (I'll never do that again ), left rear no break pad half caliper gone, all fluids and filters, and plug and plug wires. It was a mess, only paid 500 for it.I know he had a after market amp, and I know that model if it's equipped is under the consol . Going to tear into that next week. Like I said, a T total mess, but running great now. I plugged up rear wiper and roof console with compass display went blank and radio fuse blew. Got the radio and upper console fixed will tear into wiper later. Figured radio would be simple, like the cars from the 80s but those wires sure have procreated since then lol.