Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Recommend me an alternator for my setup (1,400 rms watts)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road
Default Recommend me an alternator for my setup (1,400 rms watts)

Hello peeps, i have an 2001 blazer4door 4.3l. It seems like my alternator is about to go out and would like someone to recommend me a good alternator for my setup. i have nearly 1400 rms watts of car audio equipment, the rest of the car is stock no extra lighting or anything... i would like an alternator that would produce enough power at idle for my setup. i have an optima red top battery and the big3upgrade done. i've heard of of a gm alternator that is bigger and plug in play but don't know too much detail about them... would it be safe to go to my local Kragen/O ryleys auto parts and ordering an alternator from a other gm truck? feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

with that much demand, you need multiple alternators. No single alternator will meet your need. Also, trash that red top. They are garbage. The company got bought out about 5 years or s ago and the quality went downhill fast. Ive gone through 4 of them since the buy out. Youd be better off with a kinetic battery if you want high end.

here is a link to he alternator upgrade.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/ho...r-80-a-376788/

Last edited by bobditts; 01-22-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

you do not need multiple alternators with a 1400w setup....that is absolutely rediculous to think that. But I do agree with bobditts on the Red Top. Trash it and get either a kinetik or XS power for the front replacement and add an extra batt to the rear and you will be fine.

Mechman, Excessive Amperage, DC Power all make good reliable alternators. If your set on upgrading you could get a 200amp alt and be set if you ever wanted to upgrade your system

Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the responses guys… I know I wont be needing more than 1 alternator for my application, you must have misread or something… thanks for the tip regarding the red topbattery that I have, but I had purchased this battery when I was barely getting into the car audio game and I had very lil knowledge, more like none at all.. lol. I will stick with this battery for the mean time ‘til it dies out either way I wont be attending competetions… thanks for the link I checked it out and from what I picked up. I should be safe to use the alternator from a 2005 chevrolet suburban 2500. I called auto zone to verify and it’s the 145a and costs 135 bucks with a lifetime warranty. This will be on my 2001 blazer 4door 4.3l. I just need to figure out whether my alt is a 2 or 4 pin and need to purchase a longer belt. i also had another question… I currently have the goodyear gatorback beltwill I be fine I I purchase the same type of belt for the ad244 alt? I don’t want to damage it even though it has lifetime warranty, just don’t want to go through the hassle… so accodrding to what I know from what I posted on this post I should be fine right? If you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Starting Member

Bump so i can get this confirmed so i can buy this and instlall it today

Old 01-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Starting Member

Bump! can someone vouche for the move i'm planning on making? this alt from the 2005 suburban 2500 will bolt up to my car right? i just want to confirm... i think my blazer cufeedback asap would be great thanksrrently has the 105a alternator... thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

h.o alts help very little at idle. youll only see its benefits while driving. at least i did with a 200amp.

id get that alternator and still run 2 batteries. or 1 badass one lol but youd have to mod where the battery sits.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

idk about the belt size but most people who did the mod said you need a 1-1.5 inch longer belt for it to be safe. i'm not sure though. i myself will need an upgrade also (i have the same power and about the same amp pull. so post the size you end up getting and so forth

Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, i needed a longer belt, you'll know if you have the right size by what position the tensioner is in, it has marks.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Starting Member

As soon as i confirm that this will work, which i thknk it will i'll let ya know what size belt i went with for my application. =) according to these ad244 alternators they're rated to do atleast 100 amperage at idle, most of other high end car audio alt's have trouble producing power at idle atleast thats what i've read on forums and brands sites...

Quick Reply: Recommend me an alternator for my setup (1,400 rms watts)