Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DarkRose
Never heard of Aura, are they any good? The clearance prices there make me leery of "walmart special" quality and sound...

Do a little research around the internet. Aura has been in the game for several years building very good equipment and is known for the quality and some great technological advances. They're not seen in SPL competition, but mostly in SQ builds. I've used several of their products over the years and the results were always above expectation, especially for the price point.

I have not used the particular speakers that I linked for you, but I'm not afraid to. As a matter of fact I've already ordered 4 sets to put up in the closet for some use in the future, and that's exactly why I suggested them. Great price for what I would expect to be a great speaker that should fit your budget, installation requirements, and overall needs quite nicely.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
DarkRose is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
There's a terrific sale on Aura speakers and amps at Parts Express right now. Very well built equipment on clearance for some fantastic prices. I'm thinking of grabbing up a few sets of the 6.5" components just to have lying around for a rainy day.

Parts Express Aura Clearance Sale
Well.... Got a full set of Auras to outfit my Blazer... They look decent, however:

It appears my Blazer is one of the "variations" mentioned in the sticky, it's a 4-door 2WD LS, and the rear doors don't have 5 1/4", but 6 1/2", so now I've got a set of 5 1/4" speakers I don't need, and short a set of 6 1/2's if I want to outfit front and rear doors... (edit: and the factory paper cone speakers are stamped as 9.5 ohm)

Better call Parts Express and see if I can RMA and just order another 6 1/2" set.

Also found out my rear door speaker wasn't blown... A certain 4 year old that belongs to me had inserted some foreign objects (hair pins) into the grill and were bouncing around in the speaker area, LOL.

Another day, another multiple trip to the online parts store, heh.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DarkRose
Well.... Got a full set of Auras to outfit my Blazer... They look decent, however:

It appears my Blazer is one of the "variations" mentioned in the sticky, it's a 4-door 2WD LS, and the rear doors don't have 5 1/4", but 6 1/2", so now I've got a set of 5 1/4" speakers I don't need, and short a set of 6 1/2's if I want to outfit front and rear doors... (edit: and the factory paper cone speakers are stamped as 9.5 ohm)

Better call Parts Express and see if I can RMA and just order another 6 1/2" set.

Also found out my rear door speaker wasn't blown... A certain 4 year old that belongs to me had inserted some foreign objects (hair pins) into the grill and were bouncing around in the speaker area, LOL.

Another day, another multiple trip to the online parts store, heh.

Parts Express is VERY easy to deal with on returns and exchanges. You'll find the only hassle to be the wait for the shipping to and fro.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
Parts Express is VERY easy to deal with on returns and exchanges. You'll find the only hassle to be the wait for the shipping to and fro.
Seems like it, already have the return label printed, going to ship them back on Friday when I'm doing my payday running...

Also found the 6 1/2 speakers aren't QUITE right, but I can make them work, just going to have to drill the rivets out of the housing and take them off and drill new mounting holes through at least the housing, possibly in the speaker frame as well... every project seems to always end up more complicated than intended...
I hate doing that, used to work at a speaker factory (Onkyo) and know how easily little metal shavings find that magnet...

Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Instead of mounting it directly to the door, cutout and build a quick wood baffle. The factory plastic baffle is always a PITA to put aftermarket speakers into, not to mention it's a thin, flimsy POS piece of plastic. Not only will you not have to worry so much about the crap with metal shavings but you'll have a much better baffle to mount the speakers to. I have some that I made for my Jimmy in the build log for it if you need an idea of what I'm referring to.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM

Update:
Mounted the speakers in the OEM housings, came up with a slick way to keep shavings out... ClingWrap is your friend!
They do sound better than factory, definitely louder, and after a few days listening, the bass is about the same, just not as booming. Not being an audiophile, i'd assume the correct term is "tighter" bass. The bass sounds more accurate, not as overpowering.
Diggin them so far, waiting for my RMA set to get to them and processed, then grabbing another set for the front doors...