Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Auxillary Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auxillary Reverse Lights

Ok so today I installed two auxillary reverse lights and I have them set to come on with the reverse lights. I was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram that will allow me to have the lights:

1. Come on with the reverse lights.
2. Have them come on with a switch also when not in reverse.

Thank you.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Auxillary Reverse Lights

You ARE using a relay to power those lights, right?

The factory wiring isn't built for much extra power than the stock lights...

If you ARE using a relay, like you should be, you can just run a wire to the trip pin of the relay to a switch in the front of the truck...

Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM

no I just spliced it into it

Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Not a good idea. It really would be better to run a new wires for the lights, use the reverse light as an input to activate a relay. That way the relay powers your aux lights with a seperate power source. If you need help on that I can show you where to look.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Not sure of the numbers on the relays right off the top of my head right now but this was a quick drawing I done, gotta love MS paint.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same setup on my blazer, without any problems with electricity to them.. i really dont beleive in relays like they have for driving lights and fog lights Ive used them yes but after a bit they get hot as hell and start overheating, I`ve even seen them melt to nuthin...

Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Get a $5 relay from a parts shop and you won't have an issue... most of those are good for 30 amps at least...

I've bought some lights with relays that are less than an amp away from what the lights pull.

The relay for my driving lights is known as "over kill" but I know I'll never have a problem with it getting too hot

The factory wiring is 16, 18, or 20 (I can't remember which)guage wire over a decently long run... It's really not made to power two sets of lights.

If you take out your normal reverse lights, you might be okay... 50 or so watts for the factory lights (about 25 watts each) and another 110 watts for the extra lights (55 watts each) that's 160 watts... That's 13.3 amps @ 12 volts...

That's pushing it over that length for 16 and 18, while pulling 2 amps MORE than what 20 guage is rated for.

There's a reason your fuses are rated at what they are... To prevent the wiring from melting

You might not have any immediate issues, since when the truck is running, and you're putting out 14 volts, the amp draw is a little less. 11.43 amps, infact... .43 amps over what 20 guage wire is rated to.

Get a relay... There's 2 reasons for it...
#1 safety
#2 way easier to get it switched like you want.

If you have an amp/sub combo in the back, run your power wires to there.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM

So yea I will run the wires down the left side next no the trailer wire harness.

Im assuming that I will need power going to the switch, and then a wire going from the switch to the lights.

Now where should I incoporate the relay, if someone has a good diagram that will help.

Thank you all for the help so far.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

well hell My first one not good enough?

With the switch on they will turn on and off when you put the truck in reverse and won't come on any other time.

I can also draw it up where with either a 2 pole double throw switch you can turn them on any time but still be switched on/off with the factory lights.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

The only problem I see with that would that the switch needs to be able to handle the current draw of the lights. Generally what you are trying to avoid when using a relay.

Quick Reply: Auxillary Reverse Lights