Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

trying to find room

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member
4.3l trouble is on a distinguished road
Default trying to find room

I have a 96 jimmy anyone know if there is room in the dash for an amp and cap? My amp's dimensions are L9.5 x H2.5 x W9.0 inches the cap is about 5 x3 x3 inch

Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

dont think you will find room for them. If you could find a spot you might have a problem with cooling since it would be tight. Just a bit of advise. Dont get a cap. You would be a lot better off upgrading the big 3 and getting a HO alt if you need it. Capacitors are worse for your system then not doing anything at all

Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

first off what will you be running, second off... that is a horrible idea. you would get engine feedback like crazy probably.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

if you rip out the heat/AC and all the ductwork to go with it, there is plenty of room. Also agree that a cap is a waste. Even if you already have it, DONT USE IT!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

the only place you could install an amp "in the dash" is in the glovebox. but then you will run into cooling problems so fill us in on some more information and we can help you out

Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Beginning Member
4.3l trouble is on a distinguished road

what info are you looking for? as for the system I have three amp's 1800W mono (sub) a 4 channel 900W (mains) and a 2 channel 400W (tweeters)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran

do you want help with a system layout? did you just want us to tell you if there was space for the amp? i mean we're just trying to help out

Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

If you're wanting stealth, make sure all of your wiring is hidden and throw it under one of the front seats??

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now now, I think you could gut the glove box and wire in a fan to keep air circulating. Maybe cut and hack a duct in from the AC supply into the glovebox. It could be done. would be alot of hassle though.

What about a custom center console? A fan(s) mounted in the sides where the seats would hide them might help in cooling. Might make the center console slightly high, but no one would see the amp. I've only seen cd/dvd players in gloveboxes personally. But just a suggestion. If you do figure out a way in the dash, post it up I'd love to see it. Would be a first to me.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran

i've seen people install multiple amps in their center console but thats in tahoes and such...

some guy is trying to install an 8 inch sub in the dash of his fusion on DIY right now.

so... anything is possible with enough money and time

Quick Reply: trying to find room