Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Which way did you run the amp power line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
nnnon632 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which way did you run the amp power line?

I'm picking up and amp and two subs tomorrow, everything is wired up and ready to go but the power line. So hears are some questions for everyone
1. I was thinking of running it through the cab or maybe along the frame under the body and wireloom and wire guard the crap out of it, then drill a hole under my rear seats gromit and silicone the hole in and out of the body and run it right to the amp. Or under the carpet through the whole cab, but not sure. any recomendations?
2.anyone know of any safe spots to drill through the firewall, or just wing it, check both sides and pray for the best?
3. i have a 600 watt amp, how far should the power line be from the RCA's to prevent any unwanted noise?
If there is anything im missing, or something I said that sounds stupid, let me know. Im fairly new to sound systems, so I dont want to mess this up. Thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past

theres a few holes in the firewall you can pick from, I used the one above the pedals. Then I just ran it back center under the carpet and console. As for the RCA, just dont run them right next to each other and you'll be fine. Pick one place for the power and another for the RCA.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Thanks, im going to look today, try to run the power line on the drivers side, and everything else on the passangers side to be safe. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Beginning Member
zdfblazer is on a distinguished road

I have a 2001 4dr. I ran my power wire on the passenger side through the antenna grommet. It can be found in the foot area of the passenger seat. Just pull the carpet down and you'll see it just beneath the dash. I carefully cut room in the grommet with an x-acto knife and ran my 4 gauge power wire through. The power cable is then ran beneath the door sills to the back seat. I did use a dremel to cut holes in the cross braces on the underside of the sills to give the wire more room. Carving the sills may not be necessary in your case. My rcas are run on the other side under the sills. My amp is mounted on the driver side rear seat fold down cover.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM

I ran the line to the drivers side, under the body with the brake lines for the rear of the truck, drilled a hole into the body by the emergency brake pedal, and ran it under the carpet. Unfortunately i had to solder 7 inches of with because it was 7 inches short. But it does sound great, right now there is a gromit where i drilled the hole, but im going to silicon it in place. as for the wire in the engine compartment, i ran a thick wire guard on the wire from the battery to the body, thinking about redoing it though with wire loom, them the guard stuff. Thanks for the info though

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

i found a pretty good spot. iv got a 04 blazer so i dont know about the old ones but, when you open your door the trim right next to your seat pops up. when you pop it up there are pins that pull right out (there is 4 so pulling out one of the middle ones will be fine) and i ran my 8 awg wire through there. if you use 4 awg or lower you may have to drill it to make it a little bit bigger but it looks real good. to add there is a wire you can follow behind the wheel well to zip tie to and stay on the passenger side so you dont loose wire length.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

straight shot from battery under fender lip over to passenger side firewall, under the kick plate down the trim on the foor to the amp FTW

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

from battery back the passanger side of the hood pressed in th the hood crease in the passanger door under the sill back and to the amp in the back, actually ex did it...and this is a past set up lol had to rip it out when selling the truck..but..when lil bro gets around he'll be wiring up my new truck probably through the fire wall down the driver side straight back to amp&subs(once we get the head unit and brackets since i'm stuck with a stock tape deck)

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Silver00LT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zdfblazer
I have a 2001 4dr. I ran my power wire on the passenger side through the antenna grommet. It can be found in the foot area of the passenger seat. Just pull the carpet down and you'll see it just beneath the dash. I carefully cut room in the grommet with an x-acto knife and ran my 4 gauge power wire through. The power cable is then ran beneath the door sills to the back seat. I did use a dremel to cut holes in the cross braces on the underside of the sills to give the wire more room. Carving the sills may not be necessary in your case. My rcas are run on the other side under the sills. My amp is mounted on the driver side rear seat fold down cover.
Question: How hard was it to fish the wire in the engine bay?

I have a kit already. I pretty much stock pile this stuff as I know I could use it again. But the problem is...length. I do not like splices, etc. in wires as it creates future 'problem' areas. So the only way I know I MAY be able to get by with it is passenger side...but still when I get to the trunk space I may still end up having to put a splitter in as I do plan on wiring two amps. one for sub one for mids. To give you an idea of length. It is the kit I used for the system install on my 2000 sedan Cavalier. System still in it hooked up. :lol:

I'm praying for the life of me it will not be like my Mazda MX6 was when I was installing my relocation kit.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Beginning Member
gmcinister is on a distinguished road
Smile

all you have to do is ground to body. frame is grounded to body. try a voltmeter. youll get the same measurements as all the tricks. ive been doing stereos for 10 years do it easy. it ends up the same.

Quick Reply: Which way did you run the amp power line?