Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Working on some door pods (first gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Working on some door pods (first gen)

How about an aperiodic setup with a hole in the bottom and the carpet acting as the mebrane?????

Old 03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

you have no way to adjust the amount of "membrane" when using the carpet to accurately tune the AP setup. AP isnt just building an enclosure and slapping some membrane over a hole and hoping it will sound good. you have to use an impedence meter to accurately tune the AP vent. plus, the carpet on the floor doesnt have air on the underside.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 PM
98BlazerLT4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: dbleon

NOOOOOOOO... tweeters in the dash would throw the imaging waaaay off. And all the dash in a first gen does with speakers is rattle. Not good ideas IMHO. If you got good tweets and a decent HU, you can aim the tweeters to bring the soundstage up. There is no substitute for a good set (read 1 set) of components. Generally the more speakers, the worse SQ (except for midrange speakers... but they need to be up front). Adding multiple sets of tweeters is a big NONO in the world of SQ... so is "rear fill" unless you really know what you're doing.
Agreed.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Its not an AP setup exactly... but does the same thing for most setups. And YES CARPET DOES HAVE AIR UNDER IT. Come on ditts your better than that.

READ THIS http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=20

Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 PM

For an AP enclosure, the outside of the AP vent must be free flowing air, not air trapped in the carpet and in the carpet padding underneath. Ive read that article many times. For a properly tuned AP enclosure, you must add and subtract the proper amounts of fiberglass untill your enclosure is tuned to where you want it with the impedence meter. While carpet might possibly be able to be used, it is no where near ideal because it isnt as free flowing as fiberglass insulation.

to get back on topic, as dbleon mentioned, stick with one set of components. You might possibly be able to get away with tweeters up high, but since a blazer is a larger vehicle, there is no reason why you cant have the tweet and woofer next to each other, aimed properly, and sound great with a higher sound stage.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Going to pick up some resin tomorrow and start getting some shape in them (providing not too much snow). I'm just going to be mounting the tweeter and mid as far forward as possible, aimed to the opposite seat headrest. I'm sure I will be happy with it, if not I'll go from there.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bobditts

For an AP enclosure, the outside of the AP vent must be free flowing air, not air trapped in the carpet and in the carpet padding underneath. Ive read that article many times. For a properly tuned AP enclosure, you must add and subtract the proper amounts of fiberglass untill your enclosure is tuned to where you want it with the impedence meter. While carpet might possibly be able to be used, it is no where near ideal because it isnt as free flowing as fiberglass insulation.

to get back on topic, as dbleon mentioned, stick with one set of components. You might possibly be able to get away with tweeters up high, but since a blazer is a larger vehicle, there is no reason why you cant have the tweet and woofer next to each other, aimed properly, and sound great with a higher sound stage.
You're right about the tuning... but this is not an ACTUAL AP setup. Its just a way to do better than a sealed kick panel (some say better than a top ported setup too)

Hope the glassing goes good man... looking foward to the end result. I'm gonna try to work on mine next week.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I'm just waiting on the pics then!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Going to pick up some resin tomorrow and start getting some shape in them (providing not too much snow). I'm just going to be mounting the tweeter and mid as far forward as possible, aimed to the opposite seat headrest. I'm sure I will be happy with it, if not I'll go from there.
aiming straight across and slightly upward will most likely yield a further forward and higher soundstage than your initial idea. Might want to give that a shot.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Ahhh ya I think I will do that. Tonight I took a laser pointer and got it all nice and straight (used a plum to make sure) and hot glued it to the ring. Checked the angles to have it directed towards the headrest (actually a little cloer to the windshield), it's just too much angle. It sticks out more than I'm willing to allow it to.

Quick Reply: Working on some door pods (first gen)