Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Working on some door pods (first gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Working on some door pods (first gen)

Finally found a place in town today that had T-nuts small enough. Set the speakers in and got the t nuts sunk in and held with epoxy as well. Then mounted the ring for the mid. The tweeter ring was too large and wasn't going to fit very well. So I sanded them down, which now I wish I had only done the top part and the bottom. That way I would have more surface area for the fiberglass. Or I could have had the mount made from 1 piece of mdf. Waiting for some of the wood glue to dry, then I might try and wrap it. Would really like to get that started.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:06 PM

Finally got some felt wrapped onto them. Have some resin on there right now as well. Not perfect, but so far so good. Now I get to start the real fun stuff :S

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good man... where exactly on the door are they gonna go? I want to eventually put some tang band midbass drivers in my doors.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM

These go on the door panels, where the map pocket is. Just drill out the plastic rivets that hold the plastic map pocket and carpet to the panel. I'm curious as to what you guys use for this type of thing, fiberglass mat or cloth/weave?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

These go on the door panels, where the map pocket is. Just drill out the plastic rivets that hold the plastic map pocket and carpet to the panel. I'm curious as to what you guys use for this type of thing, fiberglass mat or cloth/weave?
Cool... I didnt know those damned pocket came out!!! Great news to me! As per your fiberglass question, to do mouldings you use mat... the stuff that has fiber in all directions. You dont want to use the bi-directional weave. But for the top you did right by using fleece. Just give it more than one coat. Then bondo it up to get your shape. Since you used the backer board instead of making a mould from fiberglass you dont need fiberglass mat. It is however good to pour some resin inside your enclosure and swirl it around to make shure the backside of the fleece is coated. Some people put fiberglass matting on from underneath too... The goal is to make the face as non resonant as possible.

Any pics on the doors.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

nice job man! i didnt know you were over here. i had the exact same speakers in my camaro and they worked great. had them mounted flat, or paralell to the door, and sounded awsome. but that was the stock location for them in the camaro. the speakers i took out obveously had come in contact with water, and they were fine. i am sure my new ones did too, but they worked fine untill i sold it.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM

I used about 8sq. feet of mat on them both. Sure isn't the most fun stuff to work with. After doing so I was looking on s10forum (Zygoats favourite) and looks like buddy there was saying to use weave. Looks like the cloth stuff might be easier to work with. I don't have any pics of them on the doors yet, as I still need to sand them down a little, then put on some kitty hair.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

I used about 8sq. feet of mat on them both. Sure isn't the most fun stuff to work with. After doing so I was looking on s10forum (Zygoats favourite) and looks like buddy there was saying to use weave. Looks like the cloth stuff might be easier to work with. I don't have any pics of them on the doors yet, as I still need to sand them down a little, then put on some kitty hair.
I thought you used fleece.... I dont see any mat.

DO NOT use the weave type.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM

No I used felt for the form as shown in the pictures. Then I added about 3-4 layers of mat.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Too late now but fleece aint the best stuff to use, it it soaks up too much resin, makes most guys not use enough layers of glass cause they think its stronger that it really is. Three to 4 layers aint really enough and will crack if bumped too hard with a careless foot, your gonna want to add another 3-4.

Spandex or even an old t-shrit work better for a backing, stays thinner with the right amount of layers of glass. Also using this if it doesn't look thick enough it aint.

Quick Reply: Working on some door pods (first gen)